Best Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Quick one, what type/brand of screws are best for screwing down 18mm ply and chipboard flooring?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
50x5 turbogold

Seriously though, it depends on a number of things, so the above may not be the best choice.

Sponsored Links
These are high quality screws but unless you are prepared to drill a clearance hole in the boards for every screw you will get 'Ramp Up' ( where the threaded screw lifts the board a little before it gets start in the joists and because it's Fully Threaded it will NOT pull the boards tight to the joists) which will eventually leads to a noisy floor when walked on.

I always reverse driver to avoid ramp up and full threaded screws prevent movement than smooth screws don’t , the head of a screw does not hold well in chipboard allowing it to eventually travel up and down smooth section of screws causing squeaks.( fine in ply though which is denser.)

These are high quality screws but unless you are prepared to drill a clearance hole in the boards for every screw you will get 'Ramp Up' (where the threaded screw lifts the board a little before it gets start in the joists and because it's Fully Threaded it will NOT pull the boards tight to the joists) which will eventually leads to a noisy floor when walked on.
If you press down hard as you drive the screws (and if needs be put your boot on the floor next to the driver) and you have a decent quality screw which will cut its' own countersink as the head enters the wood (e.g. Reissers, etc) then that doesn't often happen - and when it does you reverse the screw out and redrive it in a new place, not the original hole. It also helps if you are using a fast impact driver (i.e. 3000 rpm or fsster as opposed to a 1200rpm drill as this job is hard on kit). With collated screws, where you can bear down hard on the driver, the job is quite quick with only the occasional 'misfire', but then flooring screws are often square drive as well which is less likely to cam out than Pozidriv

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really a fan of all the branded screws with their little "features" that claim to make their screws better.

Any generic screw will do - the cheapest.

I must use more screws than you do. Some of the cheap crap main/joinery contractors give us to work with are absolute sh1te for so many tasks. So no, not all screws are equal - which if you used better stuff once in a while, you'd realise. But then, you knew I'd contradict you on this point, didn't you? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back