Best Security Lights Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a good Budget Security Light for the back of my House.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also are the LED Security Lights any Good and whats the best Cable to use for Lights.

Ta J.D. :)

Sponsored Links
1. There are no good budget security lights. You get what you pay for.
2. LED lights are good as they use much less electricity
There's a range to look at here
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...x/Lighting_Floodlight_Index/STXLED/index.html
3. Where will the cable be run? If it is through the wall into the back of the light then any cable capable of carrying the current will be fine. You'll need an external cable if it is to be run outside (eg clipped to a wall). Hi-Tuf or NYY-J might be suitable, it depends on teh application.

I want just a simple Security Light with a PIR Sensor.

It will be going from the outside into the Kitchen with a Plug on the end.

I cant afford to get a Electrician in to wire it into the mains.

Sponsored Links
I had a lot of problems with security lamps and really not for security but so I could see to get to back of house. Every time I keyed the mic the lights came on.

Tried a few makes but clearly the EMC on them could not reject the feeble 30Watt I was using. Goodness knows what would have happened with 400Watt?

So I just fitted an 8W bulb and left it on all night. Today with LED bulbs at 1.4W in Lidi I question if the bulb even uses as much at the PIR that would control it and time switch would seem far better than any PIR.

Next doors bill must be huge when I decide to play radio it's on all the time I am playing also with every cat and switch on my old curtsy lamp by my back door and a real laugh. When theirs switches on mine switches off, when theirs switches off mine comes on, as mine comes on theirs also then comes on. Mine 60W theirs 500W.

This seems to be more common than one would suspect. When dog was alive I would take it for an evening walk while playing radio through local repeater and the neighbourhood looked like Blackpool with all the flashing lights.

It has also locked cars and set off car alarms all good fun. Never seems to unlock them. And that was just 5Watt.

To me light deters more than chance there will be light so a LED lamp on all night is far better than one flashing on and off all night and also it does not tend to wake one up every time a cat walks through the garden.

Maybe a sign "Warning Electric Fence to deter unban foxes installed" would deter more people. Just put up some wires don't need to be live!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back