Best stone tile for a Bathroom - Granite, Travertine, Slate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Onto the next stop in the house refurb. Bathrooms.

I was planning to set up the bathroom in BLACK floor, WHITE walls and furniture and CHROME taps and bits.

My sis just came over and told me that my plans for Black (galaxy type) granite floor tiles were not a good idea as they are incredibly slippery. I am stuck, is this true??

If it is, how would slate fare? The water is hard (South East) so it is going to leave streaky bits all over. I have thought of using Travertine but problem with colour (big deal, not) and the fact that whatever wipes off carbonic streaks off the tiles is gonna take a bit outta the travertine as well, does now bode well.

Any ideas for other kinds of stone? It will have underfloor heating. I am absolutely stuck, and am supposed to get the stuff for next tuesday!

Any advice appreciated. As far as I can see ,there are a few natural stone tiles available:
Granite
Travertine
Sandstone
Fossil Stone
Slate

What would slip least, withstand heat, calcium staining, stain removal and water penetration best? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
Onto the next stop in the house refurb. Bathrooms.

I was planning to set up the bathroom in BLACK floor, WHITE walls and furniture and CHROME taps and bits.

My sis just came over and told me that my plans for Black (galaxy type) granite floor tiles were not a good idea as they are incredibly slippery. I am stuck, is this true??

If it is, how would slate fare? The water is hard (South East) so it is going to leave streaky bits all over. I have thought of using Travertine but problem with colour (big deal, not) and the fact that whatever wipes off carbonic streaks off the tiles is gonna take a bit outta the travertine as well, does now bode well.

Any ideas for other kinds of stone? It will have underfloor heating. I am absolutely stuck, and am supposed to get the stuff for next tuesday!

Any advice appreciated. As far as I can see ,there are a few natural stone tiles available:
Granite
Travertine
Sandstone
Fossil Stone
Slate

What would slip least, withstand heat, calcium staining, stain removal and water penetration best? :rolleyes:

I used travertine

i have used travetine, limestone, granite etc mate with no problems at all

wet-room.jpg

Image035.jpg

Image034.jpg

Image032.jpg

wetroom2.jpg

wetroomingranite2.jpg

wetroomingranite3.jpg

bathroomandwetroom1.jpg

bathroomandwetroom2.jpg

just a few examples

Sponsored Links
DROOOOOL!! <plip>

Those are some inspiring photies, guys, thank you.

I am keeping away from Travertine for the upstairs bathroom, 'cos the colour scheme in my head.

But there is a good chance of Travertine downstairs after what I see.

Just out of interest, is the Granite really that slippy in the bathroom or is sis blowing smoke up my ass, as usual??! I am on the brink of placing orders.

Warmest Regards
Udhi

the granite bathroom i done ( walls and floors) 3rd and 4th pics from the bottom of my post were/are NOT slippy at all mate. There is also a sealer/impregnator you can buy that gives the tiles a non slip surface.Sorry i cant remember the name of it, but it was made by " Lithofin"

Much obliged to you mate. I think I know which lithofin it is, I think its is called MATT something or other.

That slippy thing really put me off before. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Admiring your work there jctilingservices. Can I ask, on the bottom photo, what did you use to build the case around the bath? Also, is there any facility to remove the panel in case of leaks etc?

And to add:

Thanks for the advice guys, I just got back to a granite tilied floor - absolutely stonking! THANK YOU again!

Hi,

Admiring your work there jctilingservices. Can I ask, on the bottom photo, what did you use to build the case around the bath? Also, is there any facility to remove the panel in case of leaks etc?

hi Mate, the panel is just rebated 2x2, but the board is 19mm marine ply, the reason for marine ply is that i was getting it cheaply from a friend.
Yes there is a facility to remove the panel, its actually screwed to the frame through the tiles, but i made small inserts from offcuts, to plug the holes so the screws are not seen.
Hope this helps you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back