Best tester for DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get a tester so I can do some tests to the circuits in my new house. I don't want to spend hundreds and I know I won't get the top kit.
I just want to check the circuits are OK so I don't end up getting the circuits failed by an electrician on something stupid and have to pay for retests and rectification I can do myself. Sort of preliminary tests.
Are the plug in testers worth the money? such as: http://webshop.glanfordelectronics....htm&itemid=MartindaleEZ150checker=1&storeid=1

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
That device is only for guidance only in reality. You would need a multi-function tester to carry out all the correct tests required for an electrcial installation.

That would be a hell of an outlay for occasional use by a DIYer

Are you carrying out work in your property ?

I've changed some faceplate and lights and moved sockets etc but the work done before I moved in is unknown. I know I won't get a fully functioning unit as required to certify, and I'm not qualified to use one. I just wanted opinions on what testers are best for a DIY'er who wants to run some checks, is a normal multimeter as good as it gets for under £100 or are there some that are a better option

That will just give you an indication if your earth is ok to a socket circuit.
You won't be able to test lighting circuits as it is, nor carry out RCD tests.

It is a fairly handy tool but won't give you the full picture....

Sponsored Links
yes, once you've worked out what is is you need to do, some second-hand pro kit, if it's not the latest model and/or certification has expired, can be a bargain. An EFLI tester, RCD tester and insulation tester might be handy and can be very cheap. A reliable multi-function tester might be rarer on the used market.

A plug-in socket tester is nowhere near as good, but it can pick out a silly mistake or a severe problem.

It's a nice idea, but here is your issue right here:

I know I won't get a fully functioning unit as required to certify, and I'm not qualified to use one. I just wanted opinions on what testers are best for a DIY'er who wants to run some checks,

You don't have to be qualified to use a tester. But what is the point of testing if you do not know what the significance of the results are.

Lets say you do an earth loop impedance test on a circuit. Lets say it is a standard 32A ring final circuit.
Your tester says the EFLI is 2.50Ω . What would be your view on that. Is that a good result, or a bad one?

I would suggest that (with respect to your abilities) you would be better getting a standard multimeter and limit your tests to checking continuity of the circuits. If you unearth (pun intended) a problem then you can whistle up a sparky who has invested in more sophisticated kit.

Lets say you do an earth loop impedance test on a circuit. Lets say it is a standard 32A ring final circuit.
Your tester says the EFLI is 2.50Ω . What would be your view on that. Is that a good result, or a bad one?

OOOOOO Please Sir can I answer that one -

I think we need to ascertain what tests the OP wants to do, and why he wants to do them, perhaps a continuity and insulation resistance tester would be adequate for doing 'dead' tests.

I know I won't get a fully functioning unit as required to certify, and I'm not qualified to use one. I just wanted opinions on what testers are best for a DIY'er who wants to run some checks,

You don't have to be qualified to use a tester. But what is the point of testing if you do not know what the significance of the results are.

I would suggest that (with respect to your abilities) you would be better getting a standard multimeter and limit your tests to checking continuity of the circuits. If you unearth (pun intended) a problem then you can whistle up a sparky who has invested in more sophisticated kit.

If I knew all there is to know I wouldn't be on here asking. I can't how investing in some kit to do some tests that wouldn't otherwise be carried out till I have to funds to allow a consumer unit upgrade is a bad thing. A quick search on google suggests 2.5ohm is above the maximum and so there is an earth fault on the ring increasing its resistance. I would then post a question on here giving my method and results etc and I'm sure someone would give some help. If I couldn't successfully rectify the fault I'd call a sparky.
No tests means I'm go about my life never knowing the earth is faulty.

As well as the tester you have linked to there is also this one which is similar.

The point is what could you test even if you had the best quality tester?

To test earth loop impedance you need to know how to work out what it should be in first place. It is not the same for all circuits. So the plug in tester can't possibly do the job properly as it has no way for the user to tell it what type of circuit is under test.

However if you buy a proper tester then there is some danger in using it and again you need to work out what the results should be.

So if you can't work out what the results should be then the socketandsee type tester is likely the best option. However they don't replace the proper tester and you could fail items that should pass and pass items that should fail. They are a quick approximate method to ensure it is safe between proper 10 year tests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back