best tool for a straight cut with the edge at 45 degree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, This is probabaly really basic but please humour me.

I have a 1m x 20cm strip of wenge wood that is 8mm thick. I want to cut it along its length in half.

Howvever, the edge of my new strips must be at a 45degree angle so that if I hold the two strips together, I get a 1m long L shape with a neat 90 degree angle. I do need precision.

I know i need some sort of circular saw. Plunge saw? Mitre saw? Not really sure of the difference. Will cheap ones do this sort of job accurately?

Thanks in advance. t

Sponsored Links
To cut long lengths you will need a table saw, cheap ones are fixed at 90 degrees so if you just have the one to do take it along to local timber merchant and ask them to do it for you, smile a lot and they will be more inclined to oblige, or think you are simple and want to get rid of you quick. ;)

much much much easier 20x20mm set your table saw blade 12mm and the fence at 9mm
2 passes and you have your 20x 20mm 8mm thick "L" shape and a 9x9mm square bit
ooppss you want half that so reduce size accordingly

incidentally if you cut 20mm at 45 degrees you will loose about 4.5mm so the effective length is 15.5mm so the inside will be around 4mm and the outside will be around 11mm is that what you thought ??
will also be dangerouse due to small size unless you make the wood several inches longer and stop 9 or so inches away from the blade
also the wood may dissapear through the gap between table top and blade

thanks guys. table saw it is.

The dimension of the cut i mentioned are not so important but the ability to do quite small cuts on small pieces of wood that are 10cm wide, only 8mm thick.

If the final L shape is slightly under 10cm deep, not a problem.

anyone recommend a table saw that is ok with small bits at sub £150?

Sponsored Links
oops mis read that as 20mm :D

when i glue random shapes you cannot clamp i use mitermate a dot every 6" or so with wood glue in between but not touching
you line up both halves then spay one blob at a time holding as you go
once you have set all blobs you can then use tape in between as nesassery to hold tight

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
no the only adjustment is depth off cut
as an aside these saws are great but are a compromise as in some width and depth off cut is lost both top and bottom
another option is a flip saw
workshop003.jpg

you can see the clark table saw that i used before the dewalt flip [dw742 or the newer dw743]

workshop011.jpg

I think I would try to do it with a router with a 45 degree V groove bit.
You need to use a straight edge clamped to the wood, and might have to practice a bit, but you'll get a perfect result.

i think thats the answer. (as I own a router already!). I will buy a mitre for the mitre cuts (as i have always wanted one anyway), get the woodyard to cut the long table saw strips and use my router to cut the bevels. job done!!

thanks guys
t

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back