Best tool for removing bars from base of cast iron fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Any advice on how to remove the bars from the base of a cast iron fireplace? They have to go so that a DFE gas fire on legs can be fitted. Someone suggested an angle grinder but I'd have to go in from above and am thinking it would be too big for the space. Would a multitool do the job? Thanks.

Fireplace 4.JPG

Sponsored Links
I'd use an angle grinder, you might not be able to cut it neatly out in one piece, but cut the middle out then work out to the edges, combination of a cutting and grinding disc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Have never used an angle grinder before but bought one today. Will tackle it over the weekend.

Thanks, yes, I've bought the safety gear. Currently watching a few YouTube videos so I know what to expect. :cautious:

So I've removed the fireplace bars with the angle grinder (in full H&S garb) and the next step was to drill from the right hand side of the fireplace into the hearth area where a gas pipe will run. I was using an 18 inch SDS drill bit and was about an inch from success when it got stuck. It's now firmly lodged in the wall with about two inches poking out. Can't get any joy with the SDS in low gear, a different drill in reverse, vice grips, WD40 into cavity - any ideas? Was feeling pretty pleased with myself until now :(

vice grips,

That's the right strategy, but vice grips won't have the biting force required. Do you have water pump pliers?

Grip the shank of the bit in the 'most leverage' part of the jaws, like I've drawn here...

jaws.jpg

...and rotate anti clockwise.

Thanks for that rsgaz. I've tried it with the water pump pliers but still no joy. The drill bit is so long that I can't get enough torque on it, it wobbles at the near end. It's annoying that it's my biggest drill bit otherwise I'd try and go in alongside it - I'll have to buy a bigger one to try that.

it wobbles at the near end.

Keep at it, this will work, I've had to do it a hundred times in concrete floors which grab the bit all the time.

Wobble the bit around in an anti clockwise direction for a minute(while pulling outward), the try again with the water pump pliers, it only needs to turn by a fraction to release it. Repeat these steps until free!

If you get it to rotate at all, put the drill back on it and use reverse and it should come out.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back