Best tool for trimming down 18mm MDF and how to support it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to trim some MDF. Not a big job, but some degree of accuracy needed.

The problem, as I see it, is the length and supporting it as it is cut and the blade necessary.

I've a few thoughts but could do with suggestions. MDF pieces are 18m thick and 1800 x 600 and 1200 x 600.

Sponsored Links
Circular saw was what I was thinking of but how to support it ? Not really sure how to approach that, largely because of the size (1800 x 600).

Also, which blade ?

Sponsored Links
What he said, if you have a work mate or few horses, lay some sturdy batton cross ways to the direction of cut and clamp to the sheet.

Set the depth of cut on your blade to just over the depth of your sheeting
(of course you may cut through the supporting battons.)

Measure the edge of saw place to edge of cutting blade (side closest to the edge you're measuring from!!) measure the cut offset. Add that to your cutting width, clamp your straight edge there.

Offer up blade and if you have it right you should see the inner edge of the blade mm perfect on the edge of your penciled line.

Bish bosh job done leggit... oooh tough job that one love walls weren't even, oh so tricky that'll be 500sheets

This is a good way to cut huge sheets too, enables you to cut them on your own without worrying about how you're going to hold on to half the sheet halfway through as it rips away from your cut line, leaving a nice jagged line...

What he said, if you have a work mate or few horses, lay some sturdy batton cross ways to the direction of cut and clamp to the sheet.

Set the depth of cut on your blade to just over the depth of your sheeting
(of course you may cut through the supporting battons.)

Measure the edge of saw place to edge of cutting blade (side closest to the edge you're measuring from!!) measure the cut offset. Add that to your cutting width, clamp your straight edge there.

Offer up blade and if you have it right you should see the inner edge of the blade mm perfect on the edge of your penciled line.

Bish bosh job done leggit... oooh tough job that one love walls weren't even, oh so tricky that'll be 500sheets

This is a good way to cut huge sheets too, enables you to cut them on your own without worrying about how you're going to hold on to half the sheet halfway through as it rips away from your cut line, leaving a nice jagged line...

I get the principle of battons across to support the sheet but you can't secure the huge sheet to horses nor a work mate can you ? If so, what am I missing ?

I get the principle of battons across to support the sheet but you can't secure the huge sheet to horses nor a work mate can you ? If so, what am I missing ?

thats not even a full sheet :LOL:
2440x 1220 is a full sheet or 1524x3048 thats a huge sheet

garden bench 2 workmates or as said on the floor
where in surrey do you live??
any where near redhill ??

thats not even a full sheet :LOL:
2440x 1220 is a full sheet or 1524x3048 thats a huge sheet

garden bench 2 workmates or as said on the floor
where in surrey do you live??
any where near redhill ??

They start as full sheets but for access, I'm having them cut down to 2 x 1800 x 610 with the off cut at 1220 x 640.

I understand what you say about doing it on the floor but it won't be attached to anything, other than the battons. Surely that is dangerous and likely to be inaccurate ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back