best tool to strip plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to take a house back to bare walls remove all plaster. what tool/make is the best to buy for the job?

Sponsored Links
hire shop mate i use a makita kango small one hand held too strip old render and plaster all the time try hire station relly good on price too
if you need a plasterer let me know glad to help out

Sponsored Links
I would be very cautious of using Kango’s & Breakers, particularly on older buildings. Over zealous & careless use of such tools can cause an awful lot of damage to the brick/block work & the vibration they transmit can crack & seriously weaken old mortar joints. I always go for the hammer & bolster chisel/flat spade approach, it causes far less damage.

Something else to be aware of is that if removing more than 24% of a thermal element (in this case the plaster from your external walls), Building Regs require you to upgrade to current insulation standards. In most cases, LABC will never know what you’re up to unless you tell them but beware if doing other notified work. If a keen BI visiting to inspect other work spots it, you could end up with a serious headache & more than you bargained for by way of additional & very expensive upgrading of thermal insulation. It may sound ridiculous but it has happened & we’ve had folks on here that have been caught out by it. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back