Best type of insulation for dry lined / stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting in a stud / dry lined wall in an outhouse that is attached to my house. I am going to insulate it but I am uncertain what is best i.e. what material has the best properties in relation to cost / efficiency / ease of use. I am considering 100mm rock wool , 50mm foam board or double foiled insulation roll (bubble wrap!!) does anyone have a view on this ?

Update - the room is off the lounge and is a storage area accessed via a door so it is to stop the heat going out of the lounge. It currently has a back wall of 2 foot thick Malvern stone that retains Next doors Garden so damp and cold. I am building the the stud wall 1 foot away as a barrier to this cold damp wall - the area behind the stud wall is ventilated and I plan to fix a DP membrane on the back of the stud. This 'outhouse' is currently like a heat sink !!

Sponsored Links
Either of the first 2. The rockwool at that thickness will probably be equiv to the 50mm foam board. and probably work out a bit cheaper.
What will you be using the room for? and will it be heated?

I've now had the benefit of kingspan/celotex boards as a form of insulation.

Verdict: Fantastic

They are really good to work with in terms of installation.

One thing to consider for the outbuilding if it's used for short periods of time then the kingspan boards in conjunction with heat source take very little time to warm up a room. I think the techie term is low thermal mass. Some forms of insulation will absorb much of the initial heat, so it takes a while for the room to warm up. Once up to temp they are fine and indeed maintain a stable temperature better but not much good if you only use the outbuilding every so often

Only real downside is the cost but look out for companies that sell seconds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back