best value for money, non ready mix adhesive and grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendations please for standard tiles?

For plastered walls

For old style concrete walls

For boards only walls

For tiling on tiles

For tiling on tiles which have been tile painted

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s not quiet as simple as that; your question is very general & there are many other factors which will dictate which adhesive/grout you should be using. What type/size tiles, weather or not you need a flexy addy grout & what exactly is “old concrete”, sometimes priming is required, sometimes not; tiling on tiles & tiles that have been painted can only be described as a bodge in most cases & can be fraught with problems.

As a general rule, always use quality trade tiling materials, the cheap DIY stuff is mostly crap.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
an experienced tiler told me to tile on tile as it was alot less hassle than taking existing tiles off then having to re plaster the walls

tiles are 200 x 220 ish. type, i'm not sure, thery're just off the b&q shelf!

After my job in the house a friend wants some help (based on the lessons learned by my mistakes first time around!) on his but his house is very very old and rather than having plaster on the walls it appears to be a concrete wall in some places, breeze block in others

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
an experienced tiler told me to tile on tile as it was alot less hassle than taking existing tiles off then having to re plaster the walls
A lot less hassle yes but still a total bodge, what about the next poor sod that comes along after? You don’t necessarily need to re-plaster the walls anyway if re-tilling, in fact it can be a disadvantage; sounds like your “experienced tiler” really knew his stuff. :rolleyes:
tiles are 200 x 220 ish. type, i'm not sure, thery're just off the b&q shelf!
Small format so you will probably get away with practically anything; use B&Q adhesive, why not :LOL:

After my job in the house a friend wants some help (based on the lessons learned by my mistakes first time around!) on his but his house is very very old and rather than having plaster on the walls it appears to be a concrete wall in some places, breeze block in others
A old property will have things to trip you up before you even start tiling; hope you feel lucky. ;)

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had this argument many times on here, about tiling onto existing tiling. Although it's easier doing it that way,, it's still a total "bodge up way" to do it,, as Rich'd says.