Best waterproof base for summer house/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm thinking of making a summerhouse backing on to my garage at the bottom of my garden. Its quite damp back there as its shaded nearly all of the time.

As such, I'm wondering what the best approach would be to making a base for it that will last.

some options I've read indicate using wooden risers on top of some form of solid base to get the floor off the ground however I think having a concrete or slabbed floor would be best for longevity.

With that in mind, if I was to make a concrete slab and putting wooden walling (tongue and groove) onto that slab, how would I keep water out? To my mind, water would seep underneath the wall. I havent considered insulation into this but think it would be prudent to do this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best approach?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Make a raised concrete base exactly the same size as the summerhouse, and the water shouldn't get under the wall.

Thanks for the reply. Would I need to seal the wood to the concrete somehow to make it air and water right?

Sponsored Links
Use a DPC under the wood and let the T&G overhang the raised base with a good distance to the ground.

The bottom layer of the T&G will also act as a drip groove.

And make sure you keep it clear from growth!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back