Best way for smooth paint finish??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly - hello all - my first post here, very amature so please bear with me :)

I'm about to move into a new property which needs quite a bit of redecorating. All the ceiling are artexed (which we are having re-skimmed) the walls are all papered with painted on woodchip (which all be removing and having re-plastered where I make a hash of it ;) ).

All the walls will be in white and matt.

Question is, whats the best procedure/tools to get a really smooth paint finish?

Firstly - I will NOT, EVER AGAIN be using the one coat stuff as its impossible to get a smooth finish as its like paiting with treacle!!

So - Roller or Pad (or spray?? but I suspect this is not a good idea to the unnitiated)

Paint type? Recomended makes? Trade type or retail paints?

I'm guessing (from my work with restoring classic cars) that to get a good finish I should really be looking at (maybe?) more coats of a thinned down good quality paint?

If this IS the case what would be the recomended ratio?

Given that some of the walls (and most of the ceilings) will be replastered, I guess I need to seal/undercoat first - recomendations here too please!

Many Many thanks in advance. This is a labour of love for me (and the missus) as we are finally moving into a house we really like. Most of the REALL work (plumbing/electrics/wall removing/plastering/floor laying etc) will be professionally done (as I'm not to be trusted with that kind of thing frankly ;) ) - but where I can save some money is on the decorating. So I want to do a GREAT job and can spend the time to get it right!!

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
Spray painting with Acrylic Eggshell is the best finish you will get, though it aint cheap, as u need to get in decorators in that can spray paint.

Third_Eye said:
Spray painting with Acrylic Eggshell is the best finish you will get, though it aint cheap, as u need to get in decorators in that can spray paint.

OK - ignoring that as an option as I'm doing the painting myself - which is the NEXT best way :)

If you over thin paint then you can damage it's capabilities. Best thing to do in your situation is seal new plaster with PVA 1/5 WATER. Then, apply Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell at a thinned down rate of Dulux Trade Acrylic Eggshell 9/1 WATER (Two coats), with an 12" (304mm) professional quality knitted sleeves with 1¾" diameter for faster coverage of larger areas. Get an Short Pile Smooth one. Also do one area at a time i.e. one wall or cieling at a time.

Sponsored Links
Mohair or simulated mohair might do it too...but you'l have to work quick and in a cool environment

Yep, best with one person cutting in and one rolling i.e. keeping the wet edge going.........................

Nah nah nah...get the mrs up the ladder! :rolleyes: :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back