Best way to build this wall out from studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating our bathroom due to leaks due to a shoddy install.

I need to sit the face of a wall, which will be tiled on 12mm aquaboard, 20mm further forward from the studs (shown in the photo with shower valves protruding), to ensure it sits over the pipes attached to the front, bottom edge so the shower tray can abut it. Hopefully, my sketch shows the 32mm I need to make up, which will be an additional 20mm beneath the 12mm aquaboard.

I'm posting here because this is more of a build question. What is the best way to bring the wall 20mm further forward? It had previously been a 12mm sheet of ply screwed to the studs, beneath a 12mm tiled plasterboard surface, which was 8mm too shallow.

Can I screw 20mm thick pieces of wood to the current stud work and mount the aquaboard directly to these battons? I'd also thought of screwing a sheet of 11mm and a sheet of 9mm OSB to the studs and then mounting the aquaboard on this OSB.

I don't want to bodge the repairs, and I'm baffled about how to solve this correctly!

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6234.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes you can add battens onto the studs to spacer it out. If you don't have a (table/circ) saw capable of ripping timber to 20mm you can use eg 19mm slate batten.

I'd glue and pin the battens on.. When you mount the panels use screws long enough to go right through the batten and into the stud at least 20mm

Don't forget there are pipes there when you're whacking screws in, and do make sure that you have a strategy for dealing with the scenario where the valve/tap protrusions aren't long enough; either pull the valves forward 20mm or make a recessed panel feature

One or two timber battens to get to the required thickness.

Or cut strips of ply or OSB, or plasterboard or the aqua board and just tack these on initially, and just increase the screw length when fixing the final aqua board so that the screws go into the main studwork by at least 30mm or so.

Yes you can add battens onto the studs to spacer it out. If you don't have a (table/circ) saw capable of ripping timber to 20mm you can use eg 19mm slate batten.

I'd glue and pin the battens on.. When you mount the panels use screws long enough to go right through the batten and into the stud at least 20mm

Don't forget there are pipes there when you're whacking screws in, and do make sure that you have a strategy for dealing with the scenario where the valve/tap protrusions aren't long enough; either pull the valves forward 20mm or make a recessed panel feature
Thanks. I'd completely forgotten about the impact on the valves, so you've saved me from a potential nightmare there! I'll see if they're adjustable.

Sponsored Links
One or two timber battens to get to the required thickness.

Or cut strips of ply or OSB, or plasterboard or the aqua board and just tack these on initially, and just increase the screw length when fixing the final aqua board so that the screws go into the main studwork by at least 30mm or so.
Thanks Woody.

Make sure u make a note of where the pipes are. Take measurements if need be.

Should I just plaster the gap at the top of the wall between the Abacus Elements board and ceiling, shown in the photo, or should I seal it somehow? Thanks for all your responses so far, the help I've received here over the years has been invaluable.
IMG_6306.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back