Best way to create hole in concrete floor for water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am bringing in a blue pipe for my new kitchen. Is there a "good" and a "bad" way to create a hole in the concrete floor to feed the pipe in and up? I assume a fairly big hole is needed in order to excavate down and then thru?

Also, what distance from the inner wall to the pipe and stop cock would you suggest I end up with?

Sponsored Links
The easiest method is a stihl saw as it'll cut just fractionally under 4'' which your floor probably is. But it's not an option really if the house is occupied in which case stitch drilling is probably the best bet.

If you need to drill down through the wall from inside you will need to make it pretty large hole, like 1ft dia not so much to dig it out as trying to get a hole out through the wall or possibly even through the footings depending on depth.

Obviously it is much easier to have a deep trench outside from which you can drill/ break upwards through but you'll have to make a call as to which is better for your situation.

As for the pipe distance off the wall that will be the very least of your worries becuase as you realised the hole will need to be pretty big in order to get the stuff out.

Hammer and chisel

Wrap the pipe in foam insulation in the floor, and aim to get it tight in a corner or against a wall - it will be about 25mm off, or a bit more if allowing for skirting

Sponsored Links
All done and dusted now. Ended up with plenty of access outside, so not too big a hole inside. Thanks for the guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back