Best way to deburr cut copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut into a vertical pipe to install a new kitchen sink. Whats the best way, please, to deburr the cut edges without leaving lots of filings inside the pipe? Im cutting with a mini pipe cutter - a thing with a cutting wheel that is rotated round the pipe.

Ta
:)

Sponsored Links
Is the cutter you intend using an adjustable, or a circular fixed 15mm type? If it's the latter, they do the worst cutting job of all. Their advantage is they're fast, but they deform the pipe beyond redemption. The best but slowest way is with a saw. This gives minimum deformation.

To stop swarf getting in the pipe is easy, just turn off gravity for 15 minutes while you do the job. If you saw the pipe, you need to file the end flat, and then use a deburring tool like this .

Ah, thanks.
The cutter is an adjustable one - I guess the trick is not to tighten too much each turn.
I had thought pushing a plug of cotton wool into the pipe to fish out later with a hooked wire might do the trick. But turning off gravity seems a much better idea :LOL:
Where in the house is the switch likely to be ;)

Sponsored Links
I think you're confusing each other. If you use an adjustable, wheel cutter thing, you won't get any swarf that's loose. It will reduce the ppipe diameter at the cut, but that rarely matters

It will reduce the ppipe diameter at the cut, but that rarely matters

I am not at all confused.
Statistically speaking, probably doesn't matter, but from an engineering point of view, the burr on the pipe will cause turbulence in the water flow.

'the burr on the pipe will cause turbulence in the water flow'

Isn't that getting a bit pedantic?? It will fade into insignificance when compared to the possible turbulence caused by an isolation valve and what about that caused by the passage of water through the valve seat, under the tap washer and then out through spout.

Quarter turn ceramic? Major turbulence generator as only half of water flow due to tap valve.

Slight burr on pipe? forget it.

Alan

The main reason against using a pipe-cutting tool in this instance is: will you be able to get the tool all the way round? I love using a pipe cutter (adjustable of course) because it gives such neat ends and is so easy.

But when cutting into existing pipes I always have had to use a hacksaw as pipes are seldom more than an inch or two from a wall (would you run a pipe in the middle of a room? :D )

'the burr on the pipe will cause turbulence in the water flow'

Isn't that getting a bit pedantic??

That's why I said statistically speaking it probably doesn't matter. Where where would you like to draw the line of worth doing vs pedantry?

Slight burr on pipe? forget it.

As most people do, so why does anyone bother to tell you about the local turbulence, and then go on to talk about the wear that can occur on the inside of the pipe or fitting caused by this, I've seen pictures of the wear, but not seen it in practice.

Then again, most people just stuff twisted wires into terminal blocks. I put crimp ferrules on first, but perhaps I'm just a pedant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back