Best way to expose an RSJ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We would like to have 2 RSJ's in our extension exposed so that they can be inspected by a structural engineer for adequacy. The steels are supporting the 2 walls of a single back bedroom.

What is the best / easiest / cheapest (?) way of exposing the steels?

Would it be better to come from below (and cut throught the plasterboard ceiling, removing Kingspan insulation boards, ceiling joists, etc)

or to come from above (and lift carpets, floorboards, etc, joists?)

Any advice welcome so I know what work to get quotes for.

Sponsored Links
Is there a beatifully plastered flat ceiling beneath the RSJ's - i.e. they're burried in the floor above ceiling level, or are they boxed in plasterboard in a step-down?

Is there a beatifully plastered flat ceiling beneath the RSJ's - i.e. they're burried in the floor above ceiling level, or are they boxed in plasterboard in a step-down?

beautifully plastered ceiling I'm afraid (light fittings and all)

i wish it was just boxed in!

The steels may need to be fully exposed particularly if they are a connected pair. It may be that the connecting bolts as well as their spacings are specific and important.

Also, he may need to have a squint at the padstones.

Sponsored Links
The steels may need to be fully exposed particularly if they are a connected pair. It may be that the connecting bolts as well as their spacings are specific and important.

We intend on exposing the 2 steels where they join. That way the SE can measure their dimensions and also inspect the connection.

Could you advise on the best method of exposing the connection - above or below?

Also, he may need to have a squint at the padstones.

Again, agreed - particularly as we have cracking in the bedroom above one end of the bearings which may or may not have been there beforehand

By your description it sounds like they are within the floor space.

It would be less disruptive to inspect from above provided that any furniture in that particular room is portable and that the floor covering lends itself well to removal and re-fit.

However, should you need to remove and re-fit new steels then this will be done largely from below.

Best thing is to break in where the connection is. From below. Repairing ceiling is far easier.
Your SE should be able to assess every thing from there apart from bearing.

It also depends on the flooring. Chipboard or maybe T&G Boards.

Repairing a ceiling is relatively simple. Even I can do it. :LOL: :LOL:

LOL ..... ryme's ceiling

stock-photo-patchwork-quilt-blocks-27776884.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Is easier than pulling a carpet back and lifting a floorboard or two?

I've had a look under the floorboards and can't see any sign of the steels. [I had thought they would be visible directly under the walls?] There's a cavity and I don't know what's under that - the joists, maybe? Would the steels be under those?

Would the steels be under those?

Presumably the steels would be directly under a wall or at the end of some joists

If you can't see the steels from beneath the floorboards, then it would have to be via the ceiling instead. And get ryme64 in to do the repair! :p

Would the steels be under those?

Presumably the steels would be directly under a wall or at the end of some joists

If you can't see the steels from beneath the floorboards, then it would have to be via the ceiling instead. And get ryme64 in to do the repair! :p

But does that make sense? If I can't see the steels under the walls, where could they be?

Also, I've thought of a 3rd alternative. Is it possibly a sensible option to go onto the felt-covered extension roof (where the outline of at least one of the steels is clearly visible) and cut away the felt..?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back