Best way to fix a sagging bedroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my bedroom floors is sagging from the walls towards the centre of the room.

I've had a couple of people out to give me a quote for sorting this out but both have suggested different methods.

One said the best thing to do would be to fix new 2 x 4 wooden joists along the length of the existing joists to level them up and the other said they would fix strips of wood and ply to the tops of the joists to level them.

I would appreciate any advice on which method would be the best way to deal with the issue.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
First you need to find out why the floor is sagging. If the existing joists are not strong enough, then it's no good adding to them or levelling the top.

Otherwise, adding a timber to the side would be the easiest way to get a level surface. But it depends what is between the joists

The house is over 100 years old and I've had some of the floorboards lifted to check for woodworm & rot, but they seem OK. There has been some settlement of the house over the years, so I think that is the cause of the problem.

The joists have some sort of cinder between them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back