Best way to fix/glue metal drawer handle to metal backplate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

i have a wooden drawer with a metal handle. The back of the metal handle is fimly fixed to the drawer. However, a small part of the handle has come off from the back plate causing, of course, the handle itself to come off.

I have tried fixing the small part onto the backplate using an apoxy resin but this didn't work. The drawer is heavy so a lot of pressure is put on this small part when the drawer is pulled open.

I have attached several images to help show you what I mean.

Can anyone recommend the best product to use to hold this handle firmly in place? It needs to be something incredibly strong as there is such a small area that can actually be fixed/glued. Remember as well, this is metal to metal.

Hope you can help!

Sponsored Links
Sorry! but the only way to fix it properly is to remove the plate and re rivet the pillar back into place withe the handle attached.

The backplate won't come off, its nailed to the drawer in two places, any attempt to prise the plate up causes it to bend and I can tell it will snap before the nails even begin to come out.

Sponsored Links
The backplate won't come off, its nailed to the drawer in two places, any attempt to prise the plate up causes it to bend and I can tell it will snap before the nails even begin to come out.
The question which this raises in my mind has to be "Is this an antique, or a Far East product?" If it is the former, I can understand your concerns. It may be possible to centre punch the nail heads and carefully drill out the heads to allow the back plate to be removed. At that point the bails could be re-riveted (and preferably brazed) to the back plate and the handles re-fixed on the drawer fronts (possibly slightly further over). Unfortunately there is no adhesive I can recommend for a permanent fix. It needs a proper metalworking solution or for the handles to be replaced.

A flimsy nailed-on handle attached to a heavy drawer which is probably too much for it does, however, point more to a "rustic" piece from the Far East or somewhere like Mexico. If the latter is the case I'd rip off all the handles (carefully) and replace them with something more appropriate to the weights involved.

Either way at the end of the process, and before loading the item up, I'd ease the drawer runners with a sharp block plane and wax the slides thoroughly with candle wax. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back