Best way to install sign onto brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just ordered a Foamex sign to go onto the brickwork of my house - it's essentially like compressed PVC foam .... similar to correx

I was going to use standoff fixings however these are probably more suitable for an acrylic sign

What would be best to secure a foamex sign to a brick wall?

Sponsored Links
No nails contact adhesive?
probably not ideal as i may need to replace the sign in a year or two, was thinking some method of screwing but not sure whether it's best to stand it off a wall or whether it's not strong enough to stand off wall and would need a flush fit and screw type fixing

An aluminium frame (look at almost any shop which doesn't have a light box above the window). Drilled, plugged and screwed to the masonry

Cheaper, but less smart, make up a 2 x 1 softwood flat frame and screw that to the wall (7mm holes, brown plugs and ideally 80 to 100mm long x 5mm screws). Pack off the wall as necessary to keep straight. Then use CSK head screws and snap cap screw cups in a matching colour to attach the Foamalux/Foamex to the sign frame

Both commonly used approaches in sign work.

You can just do away with the frame, but that won't work if the masonry isn't flat

Any method of fixing must be sufficiently robust that it can withstand the British weather without falling on someone's head - meaning a mechanical fixing is invariably required (and that makes glue, silicon, etc very, very risky)

And yes, stand-offs are for cut lettering and require an accurately made template to get them in the right places

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
You could use 20mm cuts of poly pipe as spacers with standard screws and plugs.Cheap and effective.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that these foam products are not incredibly strong, so if you install it onto cut pipe sections the screw heads it is probably advisable to use something like penny washers beneath them to prevent the screw heads from pulling through the plastic.

A sign falling off a wall can do a lot of injury to pedestrians

Would i even need any pipes to set it off wall? Would it not just screw straight to the wall with some washers underneath the screws? Or is it best to set off the wall a bit for water drainage etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back