Best Way to Insulate This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have a cupboard the other side of the front door/opposite the living room which contains the gas shut off and pipes going outside to the meter boxes.

Im getting quite noticeable draughts coming out of this cupboard and unltimately into the living room so thought its about time i tried to sort it.

As you can see from the pictures below there is a small hatch which is covered with a board. Behind it is filled with insulation (maybe not enough?) and behind that is the outside brick wall.

The other picture shows the pipe going upwards through the big hole which has previosuly been sealed with some putty but not all of it remains and there is still a big hole which feels like where most of the windy draught is coming from.

Now before i go out and get some expandable foam to fill any gaps before putting the insulation back in its place and sealing (temporarily of course) the gaps around the hatch i was wondering if anyone had any more tips?

Thanks

20161203_143813.jpg

20161203_143856.jpg

20161203_143841.jpg

20161203_143847.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell but is it a cavity wall? If you so need to seal the cavity from the inside of the house effectively. Also brick work is never 100% for air seal, a large brick wall acts like a colander when it comes to drafts.
What I'd do if you need access is put a door sealed to external door draught exclusion standards in, and make sure there's plenty of insulation behind. If you don't need access then the same only just seal the board in place. Ideally the insulation you install should be continuous with the wall insulation if any.
And finally, draughts can be caused by convection, so it might not even be air getting in causing the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back