Best way to lay alarm cable in a wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Could someone tell me the proper way to run alarm cable down a wall eg installing the keypad.

Must i track the wall and use conduit (the hard way :rolleyes: )

Sponsored Links
being as there is no mains voltage present in the alarm / rkp cable you can do numerous things with it...you can clip it surface, you coud place it in mini trunking or you could chop it in and re plaster the choice is yours...however should you chop it in then I suggest you place metal or plastic capping over the cable for mechanical and chemical protection.

being as there is no mains voltage present in the alarm / rkp cable you can do numerous things with it...you can clip it surface, you coud place it in mini trunking or you could chop it in and re plaster the choice is yours...however should you chop it in then I suggest you place metal or plastic capping over the cable for mechanical and chemical protection.
would plastering straight over it actually cause chemical damage to the cable it being plastic sheathed?
I might just put it in conduit pipe then, forgot to mention its a new build.
Any other advice you have appreciated :)

cheers

would plastering straight over it actually cause chemical damage to the cable it being plastic sheathed?

not in our lifetime, dont worry but if you can put capping over it it will protect it from the plasterers trowel - if its drylined then I wouldnt bother

make sure you keep your alarm cable seperated from the mains 100mm minimum but the more the better

wire a phone point to the alarm panel too

Sponsored Links

not in our lifetime, dont worry but if you can put capping over it it will protect it from the plasterers trowel - if its drylined then I wouldnt bother

make sure you keep your alarm cable seperated from the mains 100mm minimum but the more the better

wire a phone point to the alarm panel too
(I was thinking of just grinding a track the width of the blade to sink the cable a bit) when you say phone point do you mean a normal socket beside panel or leave the cable to connect and hide in the control panel?
I am putting a speech dialler on, which makes me ask another question.
were do I put the speech dialler its a texecom.
sorry to be a pain but your help is much appreciated ;)

If its a new build cant you just drop the cable down the cavity and fish it out with the trusty metal coat hanger at the panel? as for the Dialer if its a texecom and you dont fancy fitting a phone extension in the same cable run, i find the best place for the digi com is as colose to the phone line as possible and make the "Trigger Cable" do the running, Mainly because if you dont have the correct BT tools you only get a short lead with the Tex digi and makes life easier.

plaster it in the wall today regret doing that in a few years time. it looks nice but when you upgrade or have a problem, oh, i plastered the cable in the wall

I put that small oval conduit in with the alarm cable inside for plastered in flush cables.

It has got me out of the doo doo on more than one occasion.

Mainly because if you dont have the correct BT tools

Surely for what they actually cost every decent alarm installer would have a punch down tool and a box of jellycrimps?

Im quite sure they would i know i have, just didnt realise the O/P was an experienced engineer....... Or maybe he wouldnt of been asking. cheers

plaster it in the wall today regret doing that in a few years time. it looks nice but when you upgrade or have a problem, oh, i plastered the cable in the wall

note to self .............

never buy a house of Breezer, what with the cables, pipes and services all surface mounted...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back