Best way to outdoor-proof wooden table and benches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an industrial reclaimed dining table and two benches (see photo) which I have been using indoors for several years. Due to a house refurb I now ant to move this set outside and use as garden furniture. What do I need to do to protect it? FYI the wood is 'north american pine that has been professionally kiln dried'.

Thanks so much!

s-l1000.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It won't stay kiln dried for long outdoors! It is going to go from 8 to 12% MC (moisture content: indoors in a CH environment) to 16%+ outdoors and you cannot stop that happening, so it will swell a bit. I'd suggest it is liable to cup or bow across the width no matter what you do, and more so if the fixing holes aren't elongated to allow for movement (wood swells and shrinks much more across the grain than along it), so that's the first thing I'd look at. after that I'd have the timber bits off and give it 3 or 4 coats of a good exterior lacquer such as Sadolin, and if the steel bits are bare (which they look like they are) I'd give them all a coat of Hammerite unless you want to get rust stains on your clothes in a few months time

Last edited by a moderator:
replace the timber with say 6x2 cls or scaffold boards store the pine in the dry till later

i have 2 benches and 2 tables made from 6x2 cls now about 5-7 years maybe more untreated
yes its grey but little to no mould or decay i designed with sacrificial pads in case off rot but none has been noticed yet

Sponsored Links
Unless you use really expensive marine finishes that have UV inhibitors, I would expect the wood to fade even if the finish remains intact.

Although I like Sadolin, if offers little UV protection.

Owatrol seem to say that the following offers UV protection. Before buying any, I would recommend that you ask them about potential fading first.

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/linitop-yacht-vernis/

Additionally, ask them how much you will need, it ain't cheap.

Thanks so much all for the suggestions - food for though indeed! It may just not be worth it of course but I'd like to try and keep using the set

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back