Best way to paint over varnished doors

I would forget both the mouse and the undercoat if I were you, Crown Solo is available in Satin and that really would be the far better choice. If you decide to use it just using your hands flat back using 400grit wet wipe down and allow to dry, then straight on with the Solo. One coat should be enough.

Dec

Sponsored Links
ok thedec thankyou, but when you say flat back is that basicly to take the shine of the varnish to give it a slightly roughish surfave?

Lee,

Yes all you need to achieve from the prep is to dull down the sheen of the varnish.

Dec

ok thanks dec, just checked homebase 18 quid a tin not bad i suppose seems to have a good review too, any left overs and ill be able to do my skirting! so no watering down of this one then just straight out of the tin

Sponsored Links
Lee,

Solo is not waterbased, on no account attempt in any way to thin the product.

Dec

ok dec thanks. so many questions1 i just want a perfect looking bedroom for the first time! still have the small problem of getting some plastering finished around the edges of the room the housing association workers left it looking rough so ill need to get a private guy in just to tidy up and chase the light switch cable into the wall, soon as the platering finished im ready to go!

yep thankyou, dont worry though ill have plenty more questions down the line, your a fountain of knowledge, sir

Lee,

Thank you that is much appreciated.

The very best of luck to you

Dec

Well i've learn't something fom this thread,and will save hours of work,thanks to all

I remember seeing this on another forum some time ago, a fella varnished a piece of timber and later applied in sections on the timber, zinsser bin, zinsser 123, macphersons undercoat, acrylic primer, crown solo gloss and crown solo satinwood, I'm almost sure that these were the paints used from memory. Anyway he returned to the piece of timber weeks later so the paints had fully cured and he then took a stripping knife and ran it across the timber applying even pressure. The zinsser bin and 123 came off easily as did the acrylic, the oil undercoat held up fairly well, but the crown solo gloss and satinwood didn't budge. It's worth searching the net for this as it is an eye opener for some people, I wish I could remember which site it was on. After a while he went back to the same piece of timber and did the stripping test again and the acrylic primer didn't come off !! which tells me that the acrylic must need a hell of a long time to fully cure.

I still use this :D It wont budge and scratchproof in an hour also good undercoat where the varnish/stain is dark. did a h/l/s 12 doors recently was able to prep denib,roll on coverstain (oilbased thins with w/spirit) then one coat of gloss. all easily in a day. ;)

Sounds good stuff jondecs. Must admit I've never used it as I'm always very wary of some of these extravagnt claims made on behalf of these products... however, I'll save up and buy some.

ok gave one side of the door a 400 grit wet paper rub down to get a key, applied a coat of crown one coat looks like ill need to put on another coat, unless i did something wrong? i gave a tin a stir as it a film on top and like it said on the top a generous amount on the brush, i used a harris no loss brush but still has dark patches :eek:(

Lee,

I don't think this is anything to do with either prep or paint, yet I have a feeling that you have over brushed the Solo. With this system it is important that you avoid doing this.

Dec

ok thanks dec, i followed the instructions dipped the brush in get plenty on the brush, so has it got to go on thick then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back