Best way to protect plywood from water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’m a first-time DIY’er and have built this frame to raise the washing machine up to a more comfortable height. It’s been coated in Cuprinol, followed by some anti-damp/mould resistant paint around the base, along with the bottom 2-3 layers of brick have also been coated with the anti-damp & mould resistant paint too. Now for the approx 8-12mm thick plywood ‘floor’, I’m wondering how / what to protect this with?

See images here: https://imgur.com/a/JljOh7E

Photos show the frame in place with one side of the floor laid down. There is to be a divider in the centre, to frame the washing machine in, with another section of floor on the other side.

Should I paint the floors with the same anti damp anti mould paint? Cuprinol before or after? Spray-on polyurethane as a finish? Something else? Once the floors are protected I’m thinking about adding a lip around the back & sides to trap any water leakages, silicon around all edges (including edges of the ply itself to seal it) and then a section of rubber or anti-slip mat on top, under the machine to aid noise and movement.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
When I've installed kitchens there has sometimes been a big enough end offcut of worktop to use as a "packer" beneath the washing machine. This needs the edges to be laminated or just sealed and the bottom to be sealed, too (sealing can be done with 2 or 3 coats of contact adhesive, silicone sealant or oil-based lacquer). The top, having a nice thick laminate surface is not only water proof but slso hard wearing as well as giving you 30 or 40mm of additional height. So if you take the plinth off and your washing machine is sitting atop a piece of laminate, which may not even match your kitchen worktop, you now know why it is there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back