Best way to remove socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of my replacing my kithcen and there is a double socket in the way of where i need to be free from sockets (ie where the slashback for the cooker will be going). To the left there is a double socket which one of the cables come from, the other cable goes to the right under the bathroom floor ( so can't get access to it to the next socket in the link). Also the cables are too short to extend to a lower point in the kitchen.

What is the best way to remove the socket from the ring circuit?

Sponsored Links
put in a new one to the right ( on the cable you can't change ) and then put in new link from the socket you can change the cable on..

Thanks for the quick reply, but i can't get access to the right as it is under where the bath is and it is all tiled in.

Sponsored Links
surely you're not putting the cooker up against a wall?
if the cable comes from the right to a socket then cut it shorter and put another socket of it.?

post us a picture..

if the cables come directly down the wall, chase the wall, sink a box or put a pattress at high level, joint the cables there and cover with a blank plate.

Put a '' danger 230Volts sticker on the pattress''

test the ring ciruit once finished

@safesinbad

Thanks for that idea, Not trying to take anything away from you suggesting it but i can't believe i never thought of it. :D

@mikhailfaradayski

yes i am aware of Part P and what it means thanks.

Put a '' danger 230Volts sticker on the pattress''

WHY?

Do you put one each socket and switch you install too?

OP - Can you take some photos? Your descriptions are not clear to me.

We need to known the plane the cable run in. It sounds like one cable runs in one direction, and the other a different direction? If this is the case, you cannot simply loose the socket if the cables running to and from it then become 'out of zones'.

Can you not 'wreck' the wall below counter level to expose the two cables, and then joint the two back together, with an addtionl length if required.

Stick a '240v warning sticker' on the JB's you install if you feel the need :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

@safesinbad

Thanks for that idea, Not trying to take anything away from you suggesting it but i can't believe i never thought of it. :D

@mikhailfaradayski

yes i am aware of Part P and what it means thanks.

Oh, good. How do you intend to comply?

Sorry for not making it clear.

There is a double socket, to the right there is the socket i want to remove and then on the other side of the room to the right there is another socket.

The cable runs up the wall from first socket then back down to the second from that back up the wall and under bathroom the another. Where the cable runs from 2nd to 3rd i can't get access to it once it goes under bathroom. Not enough spare cable above cieling level to position to the left or right.

Hope this explains it better.

sorry, when i asked about complying, i suppose i was really asking about whether you feel this work is notifiable. iF you do, how are you proposing to deal with notificatin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back