Best way to replicate this border effect please? Tools??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I would like to replicate the border below but as i am a complete beginner at DIY i would like some advice on what would be the best and most simple way to make the curved semi-circles at the top of the wood sections? I am guessing a jigsaw wuld be the easiest but i dont have one and i want to make sure it is all matching and looks great when complete so any advice would be fantastic. I have plenty of offcut bits of wood from some fencing and even have the thin rails sorted so its only really how to make the curves I need help with.

Thanks in advance peeps!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
It will be pretty hard to match, but I would have a go with a router, using the existing sample as a template for the guide, you could pretty much make the whole piece up then trim the top with the guide. A drillbit designed for cutting could also be an option as long as you can use a guide with it. I would expect a jigsaw wouldn't produce very good results but again if you can use a guide with one it may be worth a try.

1. You could use a coping saw, slow and tedious depending on the amount of material to shape.

2. As a complete beginning DIY'er stay away from routers.

3. A dirt cheap jig saw with scroll blades would do the job. Work very slow, the tool does the work.

a jigsaw is definatly the safest way but uniformity would be difficult with such a tight wave form
if you shallow out and increase the length off the waves say over 2 planks then it will be far easier
to use a router with a follower bit you would need to cut to within 5mm off the line with a jigsaw first

if you have never used a router forget this as your talking level 2 or3 in the "basic" router stakes

Sponsored Links
i was going to suggest a scroll saw,but now thinking the material may be a tad too thick?

Make it with straight edges, use an existing one to make a cardboard template -turn that template over and then mark your newly made ones with a pencil.

Then clamp and use a jigsaw to get the rough shape - then use a sander (or the old way - sandpaper) to sooth it off.

Job done - its going in the garden - it does not have to be kitchen worktop joint quality. :cool:

How about drawing the template of the curves with a plate or large jar, then carefully using a jigsaw cut out and fix together with battons..have some trial pieces first so you can practice if you are a newbie to power tools...If I can do it, anyone can.

Once you figure out a way to cut the arcs, you should be prepared that you can't make all the end look the same - so form them as best you can on a slightly oversived piece, then align all your cut end to look the best and trim off the other end to make all the bottoms level.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back