Best way to rip thick oak ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a about 6 pieces of oak (dry) 140mm x140mm x 1200mm. I need to rough cut them to about 100mm sq. Don’t have a bandsaw, my handsaw cutting usually wanders wildly off line and not square. I have a circular saw and was thinking about taking lots of shallow cuts to saw max depth then finishing off with a handsaw. I’ve also seen extra long jigsaw blades which look quite interesting. Any thoughts/techniques?

Sponsored Links
Personally I’d head for a sawmill/timber yard/ joiner shop with a quality circular saw and planer/ thicknesser.
Save you a lot of grief and maybe waste.
John :)

Forget the long jigsaw blades.... I have used T744D and T1044D jigsaw blades to cut special joints in heavy softwood from time to time and they not only require a powerful jigsaw, but they will wander off course easily if they hit a knot or inclusion of any type. The T1044D in particular is prone to snapping near the top if too much feed pressure is applied. I regularly use the slightly smaller T344D blades to finish notches in 3in thick C24 softwood, but the main cuts are done using a 230mm Hilti rip saw with a 24 tooth blade with the jigsaw just doing the final parting out. Cutting all of a 100 x 85mm notch with a jigsaw alone is just too slow and inaccurate

As John says, find something like a small joiners shop with a large rip saw (20in or so) or a heavy bandsaw and pay them to make the cuts

Sponsored Links
Forget the long jigsaw blades.... I have used T744D and T1044D jigsaw blades to cut special joints in heavy softwood from time to time and they not only require a powerful jigsaw, but they will wander off course easily if they hit a knot or inclusion of any type. The T1044D in particular is prone to snapping near the top if too much feed pressure is applied. I regularly use the slightly smaller T344D blades to finish notches in 3in thick C24 softwood, but the main cuts are done using a 230mm Hilti rip saw with a 24 tooth blade with the jigsaw just doing the final parting out. Cutting all of a 100 x 85mm notch with a jigsaw alone is just too slow and inaccurate

As John says, find something like a small joiners shop with a large rip saw (20in or so) or a heavy bandsaw and pay them to make the cuts
Thanks for that reply, really appreciate the info I have emailed a local sawmill enquiring about cutting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back