Best way to support floor after chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So after a long weekend of removing my chimney from the attic and 1st floor I’m stuck!

It looks like the 1st floor joists are sitting on timbers that are resting on the chimney.

Whats the best way to tackle this?
8D320F72-505E-4DD0-B620-92ED13027662.jpeg A9B0ED18-9533-4D47-AA05-693C65B3775A.jpeg 6AD8C9F4-22A5-4D95-A84D-77EE700BBB83.jpeg

This is a bedroom that is going to be repurposed into a bathroom. Structural engineer said the chimney was could be removed completely without any calculation. I think he might be wrong.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• BC8FCC5C-A38E-4108-8EB6-2D2C6609CC17.jpeg
    BC8FCC5C-A38E-4108-8EB6-2D2C6609CC17.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 1,051
Sponsored Links
To increase your chances of receiving advice could you upload a photo(s) from the floor below to show what is supporting the very substantial constructional hearth you have partially dug out, and which appears, judging by the lath and plaster, to go below the ceiling level?

Cheers,

Blup

Hi Blup
Thanks for the advice. Here is a photo of the remaining chimney breast in the room below.
A4C5F058-427A-448B-B89C-18BAEA17FD3C.jpeg

It looks like some rudimentary form of gallows bracket which was put in after the ground floor chimney breast was removed in order to support the upper floor chimney that you have just taken down. But it appears still to be supporting the timber over which the joists are notched, and, as you imply, to be performing a structural function in this regard.

I am a DIYer not a structural engineer or other expert, so these are my observations, not advice.

Your own SE would doubtless be willing to view what you have done and give further advice.

Not to alarm you, but building control have a function in relation to dangerous structures, and may well be be willing to visit and give advice if you remain concerned.

Cheers,

Blup

Sponsored Links
Thanks Blup
SE has suggested two options.
  • Extending the joists into the wall (which is a party wall btw)
  • Install a steel below the joists
I have a few builders coming to give me their suggestions too.

I’m thinking of propping the floor from below. Partially removing the ceiling to expose the binder and joists. Remove the remaining breast. Remove the binders. Then replace them with similar sized steel the entire length.

Whilst informal suggestions are always useful, I think the correct order is that the SE formally specifies the work (having done the necessary calculations), and the builder prices and works to that specification, unless he believes there is something manifestly wrong with it.

Cheers,

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back