Best way to treat woodworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Whats is the cheapest/best way to treat woodworm in furniture, and prevent it from attacking any other furniture.

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
breezer said:

Flippant though it sounds, depending on how treasured / expensive the furniture is, then yes, burn it.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

A surveyor friend of mine suggested painting the stuff with paraffin.... I'm assuming this wasn't a pre-requisite to burning it :)

Wondered if anyone else had heard of this as a cheap way of treating it?

Thanks masona for the website - I'll look into it.

Regards

Paul

I've used woodworm killer that smelt like paraffin so I can only assume that this might have been the base. However, the stuff you buy from Rentokil and the like have other horrible chemicals designed to get rid of the nasty things (used to be Lindane but I believe that's now on the toxic list!).

If you've only got a small infestation then go for the applicator that allows you to squirt the fluid into the holes. Then, periodically check that no more have appeared.

If it was a severe infestation (apart from burning it) I'd try and soak it in fluid so that the wood takes it in all over.

Try and buy a worming fluid that is spirirt based not water based. The spirit based stuff soaks in much better. Also, try and buy a low odour type cos this stuff can stink like hell.

Most worm will burrow in from behind the polished finish, they especially like plywood. Brush the fluid liberally all up round the bare wood surfaces behind and underneath the polished surfaces.

The squirt in type of fluid seems effective but oh so laborious what with going one hole at a time (watch your eyes cos it can squirt out of another hole suddenly)

If moneys no object, Rentokill will take the furniture away and fume it in special room. If it was me and I wanted to ne 100% sure in killing the worm, but keeping cost to a minimum I'd squirt each hole individually.

Brushing it on is a second best IMHO.

As a general rule, if you tap the wood and dust falls out from the holes, the worms live, if no dust, its long gone. So just cos theres holes doesnt mean theres actually worm there.

the woodworm beetle only emerges and burrows around the month of may/june, the rest of the time he is a maggot burrowing through the wood, you wont know you have killed him untill next year if you see fresh holes appear, while he is inside he will do no damage to other wood untill next year

Freddie said:
while he is inside he will do no damage to other wood
untill next year
yes that is because
Freddie said:
he is a maggot burrowing through the wood,
that he is in, marvellous.

so you dont know you have killed him (or not) and while you think he is dead he is really burrowing through more wood

BURN IT

ok then, these were chipendale chairs ( i think)

JM017.jpg

the needs of the many out way the needs of the one

i want one of them, gimme now, god could i get even with a few arseholes with that

You cant avoid woodworm unless you live in a concrete shelter, with metal furniture.
The natural habitat of many types of woodworm is in the dead parts of trees and if you live in a house with timber its just the luck of the draw if they decide to fly into your house.

If they fly into your house that doesn't mean you'll end up with woodworms.
If the timber is well treated the larvae will be poisoned very quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back