Best ways to check a potential builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I’ve been looking for a builder to do some work over the last few months (loft extension and ground floor reconfiguration) and finally found one that I have a good feeling about. The value of the quote has been competitive, the guy has quickly returned all my calls and messages etc, for what it’s worth he has a good albeit limited profile on line (ratedpeople, trustedtrader). All looking positive.

I have a few builders who are friends and some that have already given quotes and I know how busy they are right now, so it’s thrown me a little when the builder that I prefer has told me that he might be able to start work within the next month or two. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not unhappy with this as I’d like to get moving before the summer comes, but it has made me question why if he’s any good, he’s not as busy as the others who have said that they could start as late as November?

I intend to ask for and look at references, check insurances, have contracts etc., but I know a few people who have done all this and been particularly done over.

So I was wondering if anyone had any hot tips as to how I could check the profile of a particular builder and gain a little more confidence?

Thanks
Dave.

Sponsored Links
Hi.

I’ve been looking for a builder to do some work over the last few months (loft extension and ground floor reconfiguration) and finally found one that I have a good feeling about. The value of the quote has been competitive, the guy has quickly returned all my calls and messages etc, for what it’s worth he has a good albeit limited profile on line (ratedpeople, trustedtrader). All looking positive.

I have a few builders who are friends and some that have already given quotes and I know how busy they are right now, so it’s thrown me a little when the builder that I prefer has told me that he might be able to start work within the next month or two. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not unhappy with this as I’d like to get moving before the summer comes, but it has made me question why if he’s any good, he’s not as busy as the others who have said that they could start as late as November?

I intend to ask for and look at references, check insurances, have contracts etc., but I know a few people who have done all this and been particularly done over.

So I was wondering if anyone had any hot tips as to how I could check the profile of a particular builder and gain a little more confidence?

Thanks
Dave.

Point 1. Good builders do not need to pay to be on lead generating site such as ratedpeople etc. I would automatically disregard anyone from one of those sites.
Point 2. Any decent builder is very likely to be booked up for the next 6 months at least. I would be very suspicious of anyone who says they can start in a month.

Thanks Wessex101.

I completely take on what you've said and agree. Having said that one of the most recommended builders in the area (and the one that can't start until at least November) has the biggest profile I've ever seen on checkatrade so I don't really want to hold that against him. I work in the internet industry and know full well that any one of these sites can manipulated, so I'm taking all of this with a pinch of salt.

Your point 2 is where I've become hesitant and why I'm asking if anyone has any hot tips for checking up on him. Everything appears above board - home address on website, most detailed quote I've had, etc etc.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Dave.

Last edited:
Some thoughts for your consideration;
1.is he easily accessible by phone,email etc? He should be.
2. Will he split his time between your job and others?
3. Notwithstanding any extra work, will he complete works in a reasonable time frame?
4. Does he sub contract some of the work out and will he guarantee this work?
5. There is absolutely no better indication of a builders work than actually speaking to the customers involved, go, knock, ask.
6. Be clear on payment stages and how much, every time a payment is made make two receipts and get him and yourself to both countersign preferably with a running total so you both know where you stand.
7. make sure you both agree what is and what isn't included in the quote. We got caught out ( our fault ) by things like the tile adhesive and plumbing stuff that we assumed was covered in the quote.
8. if any coving, ceilings or woodwork is damaged during the works ( wiring and plumbing) who will make good to what standard ?
9. get a site toilet, your wife will not like them using yours
10. Make sure that all electrical sockets/ switches are a known make and not some cheap unbranded Chinese import.
11. Will your architect help with interpretation of the plans? confusion often occurs

Good luck
Mike

Sponsored Links
9. get a site toilet, your wife will not like them using yours

My wife has a problem with me using our toilet, so the builders won't stand a chance!

Excellent points Mike. I'm starting to make a list of these kind of things and you've certainly added to it.

I suppose the only point where I'll be happy will be once the job is finished and my house in in one piece. Sounds to me that those references will be crux of putting my mind at ease.

Thanks for your response.
Dave.

My wife has a problem with me using our toilet, so the builders won't stand a chance!

Excellent points Mike. I'm starting to make a list of these kind of things and you've certainly added to it.

I suppose the only point where I'll be happy will be once the job is finished and my house in in one piece. Sounds to me that those references will be crux of putting my mind at ease.

Thanks for your response.
Dave.

No problem mate, I'll write a few more points down later on when I get time.

Mike

Speak to some reference customers as the main guidance.

Secondly, what are his payment terms. Is he asking for anything up front? Certainly around my area, builders don't ask for any deposits and accept stage payments in arrears. That will give you more confidence in him as you'll be holding the money should there be a problem with his work.

Thanks Lower.

We haven't got quite as far as payment terms yet although that is one of my next questions. I've heard that some builders ask for a small deposit in order to hold a slot which I think is fair enough, but I won't be handing over large sums until something gets done and fully expect there to be some kind of written payment schedule before we begin.

Thanks again,
Dave.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back