Best wy to have gas meter moved?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people. I need the meter moving and when filling the form on SGN theres a few questions on whether I want them to do all of it or get someone local. So I wonder if anyone on here could advise which is best and/or cheaper.
I would ideally like the gas cut off and someone come back after i've dug the footings I assume that's common.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not something I've dealt with. Where is it to be moved to? You need to make sure whoever does it needs to have MET1 or the other meter qualification (can't think of the one for now).

I had my meter moved by SGN, last year, from the kitchen to outside on the driveway ready for a new extension. They disconnected the old meter and then dug up the old supply. Fitted the meter box, new meter and connected up the supply. My gas engineer then connected up the new meter to the existing boiler. The following day another team came and reinstated the driveway.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
When they say "all of it" they mean they will move the service pipe and meter, but you can use a Gas safe engineer of your choice to re-connect the outlet copper pipework, often a lot cheaper than SGN and no they dont need a meter qualification, as SGN will do everything to do with the meter

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies gents.
I had my meter moved by SGN, last year, from the kitchen to outside on the driveway ready for a new extension. They disconnected the old meter and then dug up the old supply. Fitted the meter box, new meter and connected up the supply. My gas engineer then connected up the new meter to the existing boiler. The following day another team came and reinstated the driveway.
Can you remember how much they charged?

or get someone local

You could use a local independent approved contractor for everything but I don't know how they would compare price wise with SGN.

Thanks for your replies gents.

Can you remember how much they charged?

Initial quotes were in the order of 680, based on the distance to be moved I understand, but when they surveyed the job they agreed it would provide better and easier access. As I am an old duffer it was undertaken foc.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back