1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Better Primer over Gloss?

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by poster897, 29 May 2016.

1. poster897

poster897

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I've lightly sanded over oil-based gloss on door/window/skirting (just taking most of sheen off). Wondering which is a better water-based undercoat/primer to put on next before I apply water based satin.

I bought Leyland trade acrylic primer undercoat from screwfix which I haven't used. Ive realised it states its for bare timber, although from reviews it seems its general purpose.

http://www.leylandtrade.com/products/product-detail/acrylic-primer-undercoat.aspx

Would I be better off with Zinsser Bullseye 123 instead ?

My sanding wasn't brilliant (rubbish) and Zinsser seems to stick to anything (no sanding required apparently!?)

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The primer/undercoat will be fine

4. misterhelpful

misterhelpful

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Although the primer/undercoat you have will probably be ok, it may not adhere well enough to take any bumps and knocks. If you think this is likely, I would go with the Zinsser or something like Dulux Supergrip, as these are much higher grip primers, provided they are allowed to fully cure before applying your topcoat(s).

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local