better pushbutton for a macdee siphon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on my third macdee siphon and they all fail the same way. Half flush is always fine, full flush (a few months after purchase) and it jams. I have to remove the thing, shake it loose and refit (not easy as I'm working blind from the side beneath the fixed worktop or whatever it's called in a bathroom). I can live with a half flush except that the pushbutton is so designed that my large finger can easily slip off the tiny half-flush segment and push on the remaining large full-flush button. A much better button with, say, equal semicircular section buttons would solve the problem.

Can anybody say from the attached pictures if the cable fitting section protruding at the end is standard and if all pushbuttons for cable siphons use a standard diameter front panel hole? (On mine it's 42mm)

Attachments

• IMG_6708.JPG
    IMG_6708.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6709.JPG
    IMG_6709.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
No, I hadn't considered going the whole replacement route! I had assumed that push buttons could be bought separately.

The base the valve fits into (I'm sure there's a technical term, but you drop the valve into it, then twist 45 degrees), is that a standard item that all flush valves match, or would I have to change that as well?

Sponsored Links
Nah the base fitting is usually unique to the valve. Another reason why I like syphons over valves as they are far easier to fix compared to valves, if they are a two part syphon anyway. Plus they don't leak even when they fail.

Because you were on your third I was wondering whether it would be better to change to a mechanical version rather than a cable version. Cables are notoriously annoying. You should be able to buy a new button easily enough. Www.cisternfittings.co.uk will be able to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back