BG Service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is not a diy query, but would appreciate it if anyone could offer advice on the following.

I recently had a boiler service carried out as part of my BG service and repair contract. The engineer left with the boiler switched off and advised that the boiler was unsafe as it had failed the combustion test. He advised that it was ok to turn it back on. The carbon dioxide and monoxide readings were not high enough for it to be condemned. When it was turned back on, it failed to ignite and displayed the fault code relating to a blocked condensate trap. The boiler is a Vokera and is 7 years old. It has been serviced every year and never had any problems.

a) should the engineer have left without rectifying whatever is causing the boiler to fail the combustion test.
b) should he have advised what the problem is likely to have been and perhaps arranged for another engineer to visit and sort the problem.
c) should he have checked and cleaned the condensate trap as part of a service.
d) could the blocked condensate be the cause of the failed combustion test.

I called BG and they were evasive and unhelpful to say the least. They could not arrange for anyone to visit and fix the boiler in a decent time frame so I arranged for another engineer to visit and the condensate was indeed blocked. The boiler is running again.

Sponsored Links
If your contract covers boiler repairs then I would have expected the guy to fix it., otherwise no point in having a repair contract. I have had a BG service and repair contract for several years and can't complain at all about the service.

Just over a year ago I had them out on Christmas Eve and then again on Boxing Day to fix a fault (admittedly they didn't do a first time fix but hey!) and have since had a second PCB fitted when the first replacement (Potterton Suprima, about 2 yrs ago) failed.

Will be interested to hear other opinions on your problem.

a) probably if was part of the service, but if it was me, I'd of informed you of your options.

b) it doesn't hurt to tell you what's wrong, it's your appliance at the end of the day.

c) Yes!!!! Without me looking, usually as part of manufacturers instructions to servicing.

d) If condensate was backing up into heat exchanger then more than likely.

What Vokera is it?

I usually recommend to scrap BG contracts, put same amount into an account to cover for servicing.

Out of interest, how long was the engineer there for? Did they remove the front cover?

James.

Edit>>> If the engineer turned it off because they thought it was unsafe, they should have left a warning notice with details of fault and what classification it was deemed to be (NCS, AR or ID).

thanks for the replies.

I have had BG contracts in the past, and never had cause for complaint.

Its a vokera Unica (I think).

I wasn't there at the time, but my wife says he was there for about 45 mins.

As it is a service and repair contract im baffled as to why he either didn't sort the problem there and then, or at least arrange for someone else to if he didn't have the time to do it himself. Seems to me if he had done the service properly and cleaned the trap, then it may well not have failed the combustion test.

He did James, except I can barely make out his writing.

Sponsored Links
He probably was a contractor, earning £18 - £20 a "service", and he thought he had spent enough of ht time, petrol and travel for his £18/£20.

If that is the deal that BG service engineers are on then they have my sympathy. Its not an excuse for not doing your job properly though. The boiler has now started cycling hot and coldwater. An amazing "service" ive had.

Seriously wrong not to clean the condensate trap in my view.

But when people are on minimum contract payments they are likely to cut corners.

You should make a complaint and claim a refund from their charges in respect of the poor service you have been given!

Tony

I probably will, its likely that seeing as he didnt clean the trap he won't have done any of the other service ite.s either. Plus they will have to come back to sort the cycling and check the flue gases are ok.

I called BG and they were evasive and unhelpful to say the least. They could not arrange for anyone to visit and fix the boiler in a decent time frame so I arranged for another engineer to visit and the condensate was indeed blocked. The boiler is running again.

Claim the cost of the other engineer on the basis that they had not provided their service under the maintenance contract in a timely manner.

Tony

Marcus, chances are you do not have a service contract but a breakdown contract. Hence, what you probably got was a boiler check but not a service during which an issue was noted but am a little surprised the boiler was switched off as I would have thought any combustion issues would have been dealt with since a combustion analysis is carried out during the annual check to see if such an issue exists.

Strongly suspect the guy who turned up was not familiar with your boiler.

But when people are on minimum contract payments they are likely to cut corners.

You should make a complaint and claim a refund from their charges in respect of the poor service you have been given!

Tony

I agree with this,

anyone who has a bit of pride in being a good engineer will ensure that they do the job they are there to do.

Regardless of how much BG are paying them. A service is a service, unfortunately not everyone does them correctly or to a level that is seen to be (in my opinion) correct.

You wouldnt pay someone to service your car and just stick a probe in the exhaust to make sure it is running correctly. You would want an oil change, filter change and an inspection.

Piers

DP,

You may be correct, all I applied for was a repair contract. BG told me that as part of the deal I would get an annual service. I have made a complaint. BG has responded well, apologised for the poor service, and have committed to put things right. Thanks for the comments.

Regardless of how much BG are paying them. A service is a service, unfortunately not everyone does them correctly or to a level that is seen to be (in my opinion) correct.

Not with BG it isn't! They offer a "generic" service for a room sealed appliance. Which is:

FGA
Burner pressure or Gas rate check.
A general dust.

That is it. So BG are lying when they talk about a "service", and they don't pay enough for or EXPECT a full service.

Tony

I get this all the time, customer calls to report breakdown and it turns out someone else has serviced the boiler but won't come out and do a repair.

The breakdown would have been prevented if the service was done correctly in the first place.

Help dad, the appliance manual instructions constitute Gas Safety (Installation and Use) regulations.

If the manual says x, y or z, then that is what it has to be and nothing else ;)

I think I will stop doing flue flow tests and spillage checks on open flued appliance as I feel it is a waste of time :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back