bhow do i reconnect this loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently Ive had to take a strip light down from the extended kitchen which used to be a garage as i have to insulate the roof.

Anyways i now have a jumble of wires hanging down, red, black and green striped and cos ive put insuating tape on each of the bare wires i guess ive broken the loop cos the lights at the other end of the kitchen arent working.

So is it a case of connect all the reds, all the blacks and all teh green striped together. ( not all togehter but red > red / black > black etc )

Sponsored Links
NO!!!! you need to find the switch wire and isolate this until you have the new light up. then connect the others together.

lol..okay. How do i find the light switch one? Theres 12 wires in total hanging down. All are red,blackgreen. One bunch has 2 red tho and one green.

No :!:

Most likely you have 2 T&E (twin and earth) cables coming through the ceiling.

One will be the live supply from the previous lamp on the circuit.

One will be the outward feed to the next lamp.
One will go to the light switch, the red one takes the live to the switch, and the other (which might be red as well, or black with some red tape or sleeving on it, or black) is the switched live that you connect to the lamp fitting. If you connect this one to all the other blacks you will blow your fuse/trip your MCB instantly you turn the light on.

Have a look at the FAQ/For reference section in Electrics UK for the pictures.

Sponsored Links
Evilgenius said:
..One bunch has 2 red tho and one green.
That ought to be the Switch cable then. When the switch is "ON" those 2 reds are connected together.

How do you? With your meter, i suppose.

JohnD said:
How do you? With your meter, i suppose.
the meter in the white cabinet outside? yeah, it spins really fast when i connect the switch wrong - thats how i know :LOL: :cool:

(this is a joke by the way. DIYERS note JohnD is referring to a multimeter which is able to test continuity, and by connecting to a switch drop wire, you can see the continuity varies when the switch is pressed)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back