Bi fold doors and rooflights - recommendations of supply only companies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First post on diynot. I'm working on an extension on a small terraced cottage in surrey. Its my house and I have builders finishing up the shell and i'm taking the rest of the work on from there. The extension is on the back and runs between existing extensions either side (all built probably with independent walls and lots of money given to structural engineers...). The extension is single storey and is open at the back for a large bi fold and has a rooflight opening above. The room is going to be a living room opening out to the garden with a level threshold so everythings one big space.
I have a reasonable quote from duration.co.uk for the rooflight and a higher one from rooflights.com. Duration is less than £2k for a 4200x1400 outside rooflight.
Bi folds are more difficult. Looking from the outside, the left hand side needs a 400mm fixed panel and then a 5 panel (more if it makes things easier/cheaper) bi fold opening to the right. The only companies i've spoken to so far cannot do a fixed window in a bi fold and want a structural steel post between the bi fold and a separate fixed window. Are there any suppliers worth approaching. So far i've spoken to slideandfold.co.uk who are reasonably priced. My local glazing company say they can do this but i'm not convinced AND they are more than double the price, before vat is added on.
Hope someone can help
Regards
Peter

Sponsored Links
It does sound odd to have a fixed pane, Can you post a pic so we can get a feel for why this is needed.
Basically bifolding doors open in pairs so to have one non opening creates all kinds of problems that need a custom build. Not impossible but it is seriously going to limit the people who will even attempt it for you.

It would defiantly make your life much easier and cheaper to separate them with a post.
Duration is a good company. Atlas is also good for rooflights.

Hi Gazman,
I spoke to duration earlier and they can supply a sidelight in the same 70mm profile and a connecting bar which is definitely a solution. I'm going to check with them later if they need a steel post in between as well but it sounds like it does not. I'll have a look at atlas and see what they can offer for the rooflight as duration has aluminium all round and needs a 2.5% fall which is more visible from inside. Will split that into a separate post if I get stuck.
Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
Yes an aluminum coupler is probably the way forward with the bifolds.
I recently did a flat aluminum rooflight for someone at 3 degree and bare in mind that it will hold a bit of water on the top of the glass due to the beads. I would recommend slightly more of a pitch if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back