Fixed rooflights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

We're building a fairly standard 6x3m rear extension with a lean-to roof. I'd like to install rooflights but they'll be at around 3m (too high to be practical for manual use) and we'll have bi-folds (for ventilation) so there's no need for them to open. I also prefer the aesthetic of fixed rooflights and they tend to have better u-values (1 vs 1.4 upwards).

However, I'm puzzled. I can buy a 90x140cm centre opening Velux for £450. But the cheapest fixed rooflights I can find are Duplus - at £840 for the nearest size to the Velux (100x150cm). Can it be right that fixed rooflights are so much more expensive? One guide I said saw they were comparable or cheaper than opening ones but my mileage is varying.

Cheers,

A.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I may be very wrong, but I suspect it could be a case of 'supply and demand'; exacerbated by current events.
There will always be a greater demand for Velux type opening skylights - In the odd times we are living in and the issues facing our supply chains; I can see that any product 'out of the ordinary' may come with a price premium attached.

But again, this is just a guess! :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I may be very wrong, but I suspect it could be a case of 'supply and demand'; exacerbated by current events.
There will always be a greater demand for Velux type opening skylights - In the odd times we are living in and the issues facing our supply chains; I can see that any product 'out of the ordinary' may come with a price premium attached.

But again, this is just a guess! :)

I don't think you're far off re: supply chains. Keylite have pulled their fixed roof lights until further notice because of component supply issues. They've offered to decommission a centre-swing window as an alternative!

Thanks for that. I'm unpersuaded. A brand new company and its sole director is someone whose online presence relates to a dog app. Interestingly, Saris is another new company that offers fixed windows at dirt cheap prices but is panned in its reviews and doesn't seem awfully trustworthy. Both have been set up in the past two years by Bulgarian directors in what is a niche market. Possibly connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back