Bi-fold doors - external handle/lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've had bi-fold doors fitted to our extension, but they don't have an external handle or lock, meaning we can only lock them using a lever from the inside. I assume that is how they are designed, rather than someone forgot to attach that!

My question is, can a handle and lock be added now they're installed?

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
I am not sure why the outside was not meant to have one its just the frame not been cut for one.... All frames are supplied whole with no holes...its up to the maker of the bi fold to add the holes where they are needed by the customer and or their locking system...pretty simple remove handle and lock..drill through holes on the inside to the outside...fit double sided lock, new handle and longer handle bar.

eg
1669991665002.png

Sponsored Links
I see, so to clarify; all bi-folds are supplied without handles or holes. Essentially the fitter has just not fit external handle/lock for some reason?

I am not sure why the outside was not meant to have one its just the frame not been cut for one.... All frames are supplied whole with no holes...its up to the maker of the bi fold to add the holes where they are needed by the customer and or their locking system...pretty simple remove handle and lock..drill through holes on the inside to the outside...fit double sided lock, new handle and longer handle bar.

eg
View attachment 287681
I see, so to clarify; all bi-folds are supplied without handles or holes. Essentially the fitter has just not fit external handle/lock for some reason?

Not the fitter, the manufacturer gets a door blank and cuts holes according to the customers order...so the customer did not spec it.

As I pointed out some people do not want an external handle as they foul when opening all the doors leaving the last leaf poking out. or they are a security risk...eg a bar or restaurant or the muppet that ordered it did not think about it...

But changinging it is not difficult...drilling four holes...lock, handle and two screw holes for the handle...depending on the handle selected.

Same with sliding patio doors, we wanted them as a lockable exit route and looked at 5 or 6 before we found a mfr that would do it.

Not the fitter, the manufacturer gets a door blank and cuts holes according to the customers order...so the customer did not spec it.

As I pointed out some people do not want an external handle as they foul when opening all the doors leaving the last leaf poking out. or they are a security risk...eg a bar or restaurant or the muppet that ordered it did not think about it...

But changinging it is not difficult...drilling four holes...lock, handle and two screw holes for the handle...depending on the handle selected.
I see. I'm the customer and no, I never asked for external handles, I just assumed! The bifolds were sourced and fitted by the construction company. I don't think external handles were ever discussed! Oops.

External handles don't foul if a magnet is fitted to the master door and next sash... also some bifolds have traffic doors , so open other way to main folding doors

This is clearly the installer not checking what you want fitted or explaining the options available

External handles don't foul if a magnet is fitted to the master door and next sash... also some bifolds have traffic doors , so open other way to main folding doors

This is clearly the installer not checking what you want fitted or explaining the options available
So they won't fold flat so foul the next leaf....

Yes without the magnet it will foul ... hence the magnet, even with a ' flat handle 'you still get handle touching the sash it folds back on.
The crux of the issue here is that the OP wasn't given any options

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back