1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Bi-fold doors onto patio

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by chriselevate, 10 May 2019.

1. chriselevate

chriselevate

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I want this doing properly so wanted your advice please. I’m having my patio taken into the same level as the inside of the house and I’m having new bi-fold doors installed. I’ve seen that some people set an ACO drain against the house and the cull of the doors runs straight into the ACO.

I realise this will work but I wondered how it can be done so you don’t see the cill. Is there a certain threshold that can be fitted that can drain into a provison so the water gets again from the property.

Thanks for your time and help.

2. chriselevate

chriselevate

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Attached Files:

3. God

God

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    don't use a cill use a standard threshold with an aluminium pressing instead of cill

4. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The purpose of a cill is to cast water off and away from a building. Now, if you are raising the ground to the threhold level, then this removes the requirement for a cill.

But it does introduce a new requirement for water to be prevented from running directly under the frame/thresold, and that needs dealing with.

You don't need a surface drain unless the ground or patio is sloping towards the building, but depending on the design, it may be adventitious to have a drain to catch run-off from the doors. But a well drained patio would acheive the same thing.

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With levels the same garden litter will tend to blow into the home very easily.
    Bringing the outside, in, literally .

6. chriselevate

chriselevate

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, good points about litter blowing in.

woody, yes, I agree that the cill would need removing in this instance. Just trying to work out how I can have the patio built up to the doors though without causing a drainage/damp issue.

I've now got a price for the drainage system I originally mentioned and it's come in at an incredible £4.5k. I am genuinely shocked at how they are managing to make sales of what it essentially a glorified ACO drain for those sorts of figures. I need to look at other options as this sort of money is simply not doable at all.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can achieve this then I'd be really grateful please. Thanks.