Bi-fold doors onto patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want this doing properly so wanted your advice please. I’m having my patio taken into the same level as the inside of the house and I’m having new bi-fold doors installed. I’ve seen that some people set an ACO drain against the house and the cull of the doors runs straight into the ACO.

I realise this will work but I wondered how it can be done so you don’t see the cill. Is there a certain threshold that can be fitted that can drain into a provison so the water gets again from the property.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• E8E09083-654D-42B1-8823-8B02F8769320.jpeg
    E8E09083-654D-42B1-8823-8B02F8769320.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 527
don't use a cill use a standard threshold with an aluminium pressing instead of cill

The purpose of a cill is to cast water off and away from a building. Now, if you are raising the ground to the threhold level, then this removes the requirement for a cill.

But it does introduce a new requirement for water to be prevented from running directly under the frame/thresold, and that needs dealing with.

You don't need a surface drain unless the ground or patio is sloping towards the building, but depending on the design, it may be adventitious to have a drain to catch run-off from the doors. But a well drained patio would acheive the same thing.

Sponsored Links
With levels the same garden litter will tend to blow into the home very easily.
Bringing the outside, in, literally .

Yes, good points about litter blowing in.

woody, yes, I agree that the cill would need removing in this instance. Just trying to work out how I can have the patio built up to the doors though without causing a drainage/damp issue.

I've now got a price for the drainage system I originally mentioned and it's come in at an incredible £4.5k. I am genuinely shocked at how they are managing to make sales of what it essentially a glorified ACO drain for those sorts of figures. I need to look at other options as this sort of money is simply not doable at all.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can achieve this then I'd be really grateful please. Thanks.

Check with your bifold manufacturers carefully. Most state in the small print that low thresholds are not weather rated!
Personally I like Smart's DV176 combined threshold/cill but it does have a 20mm lip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back