BI Folding Doors - Aluminium or PVC?

im thinknng of getting some folding doors from sunseekerdoors for my new extension & was wondering if anyone has brought from them before

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have done a lot of internet research to help decide which folding door system to choose. One of my friends is an architect and only recommends Sunflex doors. I have visited Sunflex's showroom in London and they look great but the problem is they are very expensive.

It appears that not a lot of companies are qualified to fit their doors, but i have decided to bite the bullet and choose a company called SKG London.

www.bespoke-doors-online.co.uk

My architect recommended them and they also came up with the most competitive of any of the companies selling Sunflex. I have put my order in and so far everything is running smoothly. I will post back with photos once the doors are in.

I have been involved in folding door market for quite a while and thought i would give some advice about folding doors.

First to address the original question (BI Folding Doors - Aluminium or PVC?)

My answer would always be Aluminium. With folding doors there are a lot of moving parts which means there are more potential problem. uPVC will warp and distort so it doesn't take much movement before you folding doors will stop working.

You will not get this problem with aluminum doors as it is not effected by the temperature. This is also the case with timber folding sliding doors, making sure your manufactures use an engineered or laminated timber is less likely to warp.

Generally i have found you get what you pay for with bi folding doors and
personally i only deal with the top of the rang doors as after dealing with cheaper door systems have found its more trouble then its worth.

The folding door system i use is Sunflex, manufactured in Germany the quality is second to none. The system is very expensive but it is the best.

If you would like any more information you can contact me at www.s-k-g.co.uk

I'm fitting a set shortly, 3000 x 2100 grey ral out and White inside, triple glazed £6000 there a bouts fitted, using smart system

Sponsored Links
After much re-searching, we have recently had some external aluminium Dualfold Sliding Folding Bi-Fold Doors installed by a company called Moving Designs in Wokingham - 0845 6432168. I highly recommend, the doors and service was outstanding and the quality is second to none. Very reasonable price for such high quality doors. Definetly recommend these bi-folds to anyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back