BI Folding Doors - Aluminium or PVC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice would be so grateful!

I have a 4100 opening and I'm wanting to install some of those great looking Bi Folding Type doors.

Now, they all look great but I,ve seen them in PVC, Aluminium and Wood. The Wood is too expensive for my budget so it leaves me deciding between PVC and Aluminium.

They will be fitted into my new extension to the lounge so I presume these windows meet Building Regs etc?

Is there any great difference on choosing Aluminium over PVC or vice versa? I see that the aluminium comes in all kinds of colours but I still have visions of the old 80's windows in my old house leaking and cold. I'm told that PVC bends and there is too much frame and not enough glass but I've been quoted £1200 cheaper than any Aluminium product.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

B

Sponsored Links
I had the same choice to make, for a 4100mm opening too.
Went for a RAL coloured aluminium door from framesdirectltd.co.uk
3 opening left with one way with a single opening door the other way.
Of all the companies I spoke to, they seemed the most proessional.

Re. building regs, a special beam was required and they said that the glazed area could not be more than 25% of the total floor area.

Thanks Vee,

If you don't mind me asking- but how much did the doors cost you in the end and how satified are you with them?

I can't get my head around all the different prices for what appears to be more or less the same product although I'm sure there will be plenty of people to tell me different.

I've been quoted prices from £3800inc VAT to £6349+VAT.

I note on other topics a company called BiFolding Doors isn't really recommended although they were the cheapest.

I've had a quote for £4295 from these guys but can't find anyone around who have used them.
http://www.foldingdoors2u.co.uk

What's more, the extention is really just a few weeks away from being completed so I'm pushed for time although I do have plenty of boards!

Regards

B[/url]

ive just had a quote from the sliding door company in bradford for £3k-£3.5k fitted depending on finish.

i am going to go for pvc as i dont need a flush threshold and can fit these myself. £1200 seems a very good price for a 225x215cm opening. still some looking to do, but i cant see this product being beaten on price.

Sponsored Links
4100mm x 2100mm
Spayed in a RAL colour
Solar glass
Installed

Cost was around £4,700 + VAT (I can't remember the precise figure)
Not the cheapest but I compared to a manufacturer we know locally and who couldn't do it for the same price.

1/3 deposit and the balance when completed.

Speak to Paul
www.framesdirectltd.co.uk

This is where they're going - delivery early June so will post feedback once installed.

PS - a good friend of mine recommended Frame sDirect to me - he is very happy with them. His house was on Property Ladder last year so you my find some pics on the C4 website. Stanmore house.

Just an update to this, in case it helps anyone in future.
The doors were installed last week.
It took 3 hours because we had a clean opening.
Frames Direct were nothing but professional throughout and only requested the final payment, 2/3s, when we were happy with the job.
The quality & finish seems excellent.
My builder estimated that these would have cost 'between 7 and £8k.'

Looks great!

I have the same size opening but I opted for 5 panels in Graphite Grey which look superb.
In the end I chose Aluminium and I'm so glad that I made that decision.

Sunseeker fitted the doors and everthing went smoothly and all for £4000 inc the dreaded VAT.

I'll take some pics and post them on here too.

B

I had a look at some of these last week, and I can't work out why they cost so much.

The doors are just normal glazed doors, and then there are hinges (again common) the ironmongery (common) and then the track - similar to other sliding door track mechanisms. Oh, and the frame which is a standard frame.

So I really can't see where the expense lays. It must be pure profit on the back of the TV programs and it being the latest 'must have' item

Totally agree with you woody.

I think in years to come they will find their correct price as the market becomes more saturated. Afterall, as you say, they are just a frame with standard ironmongary and sealed units.

Unfortunately the prices are still silly at the moment and I had no option but to pay this price. I looked around at so many and was even quoted £8000+ by one company.

One thing tho despite the cost - opening up the back wall and putting these doors in has created the 'wow' factor. Everyone so far who has been into the new lounge has been extremely impressed and said they are worth every penny.

I will try to upload some pics soon.

regards

B

Vee,

Is that a warm roof you're putting on there?

Just a standard flat roof.
Out of interest, what is a warm roof.

Sunseeker quoted £5k+vat and that wasn't with the 'Celsius' solar glass which supposedly keeps things cooler when the sun shines directly on the glass.

Looking at it further it def looks like a 'warm roof' they are putting on there.
A warm roof has the insulation above the joists ( usually celotex) instead of between the joists. This allows the temp between the joists to be the same as the room hence 'warm roof' and to keep an air flow circulating. If you plant to put downlights in the voids then this will be easier. Don't forget to make sure they are fire-rated/hooded.

Sunseeker first quoted me around £5000+ so I told them I was looking elsewhere. They soon dropped the price to £3400+VAT fitted. The price also included Argon Filled Glass Units etc.

My Building Inspector also wanted Thermal Calculations because of the amount of Glass Openings now in the room. Luckily for me with a 39sq room the 8.1sq doors are within the 25% limit.

Hopefully I'll have my extention finished within the next couple of weeks then all the dust and mayhem would have been worth it!

regards

B

Good pics you have there - it looks like you've have created that wow factor to your house.

Any advice would be so grateful!

I have a 4100 opening and I'm wanting to install some of those great looking Bi Folding Type doors.

Now, they all look great but I,ve seen them in PVC, Aluminium and Wood. The Wood is too expensive for my budget so it leaves me deciding between PVC and Aluminium.

They will be fitted into my new extension to the lounge so I presume these windows meet Building Regs etc?

Is there any great difference on choosing Aluminium over PVC or vice versa? I see that the aluminium comes in all kinds of colours but I still have visions of the old 80's windows in my old house leaking and cold. I'm told that PVC bends and there is too much frame and not enough glass but I've been quoted £1200 cheaper than any Aluminium product.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

B

of course , the aluminum bifolding doors is better, but the price is higher than PVC :D

Reading the posts above it looks as if we may have paid too much!

This opening is 3450mm, it faces SW over open fields and gets blasted by prevailing winds and rain from the nearby sea as well as hot sunshine in summer, so we wanted something top quality. An architect pal recommended Sunplan Systems and we have paid around £9000 including VAT for these:

IsleofManOctober2008022.jpg

The quality is excellent and I am especially impressed with the seals and the stainless trucks and rails; the doors slide as smooth as silk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back