Bifold Doors Cill Leaving Standing Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Had some bifolds fitted and after it rains we're finding that the water isn't draining off the Cill. So now I'm in dispute with the compnay that fitted and holding back 30%, since they asked for 30% up front. The solution they've come up with sounds like a bodge so now we're at a stale mate.
Any options seeing the attached photos ? I'd say the Cill isn't fitted correctly and they hwole thing needs redoing, but obviously they aren't keen saying it is and the water won't get inside !

I hate getting fobbed off like I'm stupid, but why do they do it again and again, maybe I do !!

Thanks In Advance

Attachments

• 20171128_153940.jpg
    20171128_153940.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 1,596
  • 20171128_153916.jpg
    20171128_153916.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 1,160
Sponsored Links
Although the water isn't draining off the cill, is any getting inside, and what is the solution they are suggesting. I don't think there's enough of an overhang to let the water drip off properly, but I can't see anything else amiss, but as the water is sitting slightly to the back, it's difficult to tell if this is flat, and therefore just a natural place for water to collects, or if it hasn't been set flat.

Seriously? Its called outdoors thing tend to get wet and stay that way until the sun & wind drys them out/off.
The cill is where the water is meant to go to.
Did you refuse to pay for your cars or your roof because they get wet?

Looks like Smart's aluminum, I fit those myself. As long as they work correctly and no water is getting inside its all good.
Personally I would have gone with the DV176 combined threshold/cill but thats probably just my personal preference.

It's not set in correct probably by a few mm, alas the cill is designed to let the water drain off not sit against the frame and also to use to get plumb against any uneven cement or brickwork.

With this wet and freezing weather we have ice sitting there and water being water will get in underneath the frame and freeze too.

The DV176 is a good idea even if it was few mm out and it will still drain off correctly I'll suggest that to them Cheers

At present they want to raise the cill but say it needs to raise 7mm then say the frame of the bi fold will tilt forward be away from the reveal and so on and so on !!

Sponsored Links
It's not set in correct probably by a few mm, alas the cill is designed to let the water drain off not sit against the frame and also to use to get plumb against any uneven cement or brickwork.
A couple of mm wont make any difference.

With this wet and freezing weather we have ice sitting there and water being water will get in underneath the frame and freeze too.
Water is designed to go inside the frames/cills through built in drainage and come back out again.

The DV176 is a good idea even if it was few mm out and it will still drain off correctly I'll suggest that to them Cheers
That would mean making new doors. Its just my personal preference when ordering/measuring bifolds.

At present they want to raise the cill but say it needs to raise 7mm then say the frame of the bi fold will tilt forward be away from the reveal and so on and so on !!
Raising it wont make any difference

The cill has a horizontal bit at the top so that the frame can fit to it and then the sloping bit.

Those droplets are holding because of capilarity and the factory finish of the new plastic. It will wear off and then less drops will remain , but there is nothing wrong with what you have stated in those pictures.

You are not getting fobbed off, and that is not incorrectly fitted. The installers should be paid.

A couple of mm wont make any difference. Raising it wont make any difference

A couple of mm will, as then the water will run off as expected. Basic physics.

Water is designed to go inside the frames/cills through built in drainage and come back out again.

There is no drainage in the Cill they have fitted, there is in the DV14 which drains out onto the cill. (They had to refit all the glass beading and enlarge the drain off holes as the track was filling up and not draining when it rained)

That would mean making new doors. Its just my personal preference when ordering/measuring bifolds.

I've also suggest the manufacturers, (who sent someone to see the company) but not to see the doors made a new cill that will do the job

The cill has a horizontal bit at the top so that the frame can fit to it and then the sloping bit.

Yes, but the cill is not horizontal hence the problem. The drops aren't on issue its the water pooling against the frame due to it not being horizontal.

We've had 15 windows installed, bifolds and a front door. All with issues, some I've let go others I'm not.

What are the other issues? As seriously this is a non issue!

Good on the company for putting up with you so far but I expect they are close to losing their patience.

So am I after over 2 months and they're still not done, hence the with holding payment otherwise they'd be off into the sunset

A company's worst nightmare. I'd be inclined to go straight to the county court for breach of contract.

8390E317-1BC1-40F6-942A-FB1FFD45D328.jpeg
We installed these yesterday for customer who’s builder has gone awol.

Water sits there!!
The sill is designed to drain, this is normal.

Had the manufacturers rep round, they're looking to change the cill they use as it's always a complain from customers.

With some off cuts of frame and cill we ran a few tests and even with the cill raised too high the water didn't drain off, which as said earlier is probably to be the lacquer from the plastic.

As for the other issues:

Had all the internal beading on 15 windows refitted as it was poorly done and had sharp edges, now the front door locking mechaism is to be replaced and and couple of dummy casements need to set in square and we're finally done after 3 months.

Then I'll pay the remainer and deduct a small amount for the cement damage to the front door steps which weren't covered before splashing a load of cement round.

All in all a great job !

And this is why I cannot wait to get out of this industry

I'm already out, done my time on 24hr call getting up at stupid o'clock to drive hours on end for pittance and a gob full, worked for one man bands right upto multi national companies like Saint Gobain, replaced tiny domestic double glazed units right upto curtain walling/spider glazing in commercial/retail/public buildings, but most I loved being a service engineer and being right at the coal face fixing and repairing on the first visit, what a buzz to be able to put a smile back on someones face, won't miss driving 50k a year though

Onto pastures new now in facilities managment within BT...........stress.........who mentioned stress?

I have been doing it for 30 years now. Started as a putty glazier which looking back now was alright because no one complained with single glazing. The issue now is most customers haggle you right down on price and then find the slightest issue( a lot of what are supplier problems) to then want to beat you down more.
I need to get out but stuck in a rut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back