Bifolds - worth fitting your own?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
getting aluminium bifold doors on my extension that I’ve built myself, I’ve been trying to shop around and got a price of about 450ish to fit (on top if the supply price obviously). I’ve never fitted them before, but have fitted a fair few upvc windows and doors, and made and fitted timber door frames etc. How hard are these to fit/risk of c*cking it up or invalidating the warranty or something? Just keen to get a steer from those who’ve done it before. Normally I’d fit it myself and not think twice but a bit cautious about these...
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Check the weight and whether you'll be able to take the sashes /glass ie the heavy bit out, fit the light bit and replace.
I'd be surprised if it's possible to fit anything large safely without someone to support it due to the weight.

Easy to fit.

The key points are make sure you get fixings in head - not easy into a steel or lintel. Ive had situations where the screws want to go in where the web of the steel beam are.

Also make sure the cill is dead flat.

And cill drainage is correctly set up.

You would get it done in a day.

Sponsored Links
The hardest part is the toeing and healing. Otherwise the door will drop.
As long as you get help with the frame you can glaze it on you own.

Anything is DIYable. YouTube and google are your friend.
True, but you need to be skilled in that 21st century trade called following YouTube/Googling....

to be fair I’m at the stage now of looking for excuses to get trades in just to give myself a break...

But where’s the satisfaction in that? Nothing like a good dose of grazed knuckles and an afternoon of swearing profusely to invigorate the mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back