Big gap around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Hope you had a good long weekend.

I've stripped our box bedroom back to brick ahead of getting insulated plasterboard fitted.

In doing so I've found that there is a big gap between the existing window frame and the surrounding bricks (see picture IMG-0410.jpg).

Is there a reason it has been left like this, or should I fill the gap with something? If you suggest filling, what should I fill with?

Thanks

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Blimey, whoever fitted that window was an amateur, I can only suggest that you have another one fitted of the correct size or if needs must insert a piece of plastic board followed by a suitable sealant from a gun to stop any draughts.

Blimey, whoever fitted that window was an amateur, I can only suggest that you have another one fitted of the correct size or if needs must insert a piece of plastic board followed by a suitable sealant from a gun to stop any draughts.
Thanks for coming back to me Eccles.

I’m trying to avoid replacing the window for now as I don’t want to have one odd window that doesn’t match the rest of the house. My plan is to do the whole of the house with matching windows at the same time. But this includes two large bay windows so will be a large cost that I’m trying to put off for a few years!

if going for the temporary fix, would you secure the plastic board or just try and cut it to size and wedge it in?

Thanks again

You don't need to replace the window, fill the gap with expanding foam. Google 'expanding foam for windows' and take your pick.

Sponsored Links
the wall may be stepped -without seeing the inside its not possible to know if its the wrong size or not

the wall may be stepped -without seeing the inside its not possible to know if its the wrong size or not
Appreciate everyone’s input. Here are a couple more pictures. The one I originally posted is the largest gap (top right hand corner). At the bottom right hand corner I can only get a finger in.

Attachments

• 074FA570-1CB3-4690-9D78-8C288084CF90.jpeg
    074FA570-1CB3-4690-9D78-8C288084CF90.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 58
  • D0EC92C9-E75A-43DF-9622-3047A226F507.jpeg
    D0EC92C9-E75A-43DF-9622-3047A226F507.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 51
How's the gap on the outside?
Is it visible, covered with a trim or sealant, non existent?

That sort of gap is totally standard in older houses. As others, expanding foam is best (messy stuff though, if it's your first go with it well worth masking off the frame & glass so you don't get foam where you can see it)

How's the gap on the outside?
Is it visible, covered with a trim or sealant, non existent?
Thanks for input.

From the outside I can just see pebbledash / render and sealant (see picture).

When I look through the gap from the inside there isn’t a lot to see - I can mainly just see what looks like glue and cement (possibly pebbledash?) - but where there are gaps in the cement I can see a bit of brick - so it looks like the outer course of bricks has a slightly smaller opening than the inner course of bricks.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1AF78489-0F95-48A3-9817-5C8764828F9D.jpeg
    1AF78489-0F95-48A3-9817-5C8764828F9D.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 17EF2657-8E8E-46AE-ACE4-0E107819B51E.jpeg
    17EF2657-8E8E-46AE-ACE4-0E107819B51E.jpeg
    619 KB · Views: 47
Well, in that case, mask windows and walls around the gaps and use expanding foam to fill the gaps.
Careful with the foam, it expands a lot.
So follow the instructions on the can and spray a little all along the gap.
You will see it filling the whole space in a few minutes.
Have a little practice on a small bit first if you wish.
Once cured, cut all excess off with a flat knife or leave it for the plasterer to sort out.
In fact, plasterers usually have experience with expanding foam, so leave that job to them.
They shouldn't charge more than the cost of the foam.

Appreciate everyone’s input. Here are a couple more pictures. The one I originally posted is the largest gap (top right hand corner). At the bottom right hand corner I can only get a finger in.
so window is the correct size

I guess you are having plastered walls internally?

in which case, fill gap with foam, use insulated plasterboard on the reveals to take up the gap

by the way there appears to be no damp proof arrangement on the reveals -I suggest some DPC vertically against the brickwork but bent around onto the window frame, then put plasterboard on, then once plastered cut back DPC

so window is the correct size

I guess you are having plastered walls internally?

in which case, fill gap with foam, use insulated plasterboard on the reveals to take up the gap

by the way there appears to be no damp proof arrangement on the reveals -I suggest some DPC vertically against the brickwork but bent around onto the window frame, then put plasterboard on, then once plastered cut back DPC

Won't the foam act as a DPC?

I do have to say that gaps like that are not "standard" on older properties because "older properties" did not have PVC windows as they had not yet been invented! I would also comment that "foam" is not a very robust material to use where it will be exposed to the elements as in this case.

If your going to use foam get the type that goes in a gun, it's alot more controllable and doesn't end up in a big mess

I do have to say that gaps like that are not "standard" on older properties because "older properties" did not have PVC windows as they had not yet been invented! I would also comment that "foam" is not a very robust material to use where it will be exposed to the elements as in this case.
That's the inside of the window.
It won't be exposed to the elements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back