Big hole around pipes in celling and wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just bought a house that has had a new central heating system installed in the last couple of years, before I bought it the house was rented and needs to be tidied up a bit.
When the central heating pipes were put in they dropped them though the celling and then went through a couple of walls. To get the pies around downstairs. This has left quite large holes around the pipes that I would like to fix.
Can anyone recommend how to do this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Standard filler?

Maybe put some newspaper in first and cover with filler or plaster. Two goes gives a better finish.

Tony

The problem with heating pipes is they go from cold to hot to cold. This will involve expansion and contraction.
Whatever you use will need a certain amount flexibility.

Depending on how much bigger the holes are than the pipe, you could use pipe collars.

$(KGrHqJHJDIE8gNO0putBPN5IVUmdg~~60_35.JPG

Standard filler?

Maybe put some newspaper in first and cover with filler or plaster. Two goes gives a better finish.

Tony
If you're going to plaster, wrap the pipe in cardboard where you will be filling, so it's about 5mm think, filler up to the cardboard and let it set for about 10 mins, then twist the cardboard while drawing it out leaving a 5mm gap round the pipe, fill this with silicone sealer, avoids cracking from expansion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies, as the pipes are quite close to each other I’ll give it a go as Madrab said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back