New vanity unit - big holes around pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct sub forum, but we've had a new vanity unit and basin installed in our WC. The fitter has left 4 gaping holes around the pipes in the wall.

Who would I need to call to get these covered as much as possible. This is currently a big risk and an invitation for pests. Do I need a plasterer? Will expanding foam work? Please see photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_184840.jpg
    IMG_20220511_184840.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
The wall should have been prepared before the vanity unit and basin were fitted really. You are highly unlikely to find a plasterer interested in doing such a piddling job. I would stick a piece of board in , ideally from the same material that the cabinet is made from.

Yes as above said..
You could fill holes with expanding foam ..then attach a board of your choice...Maybe plastic panel? But instead of fitting in 1 piece. It'll be easier to fit in 2 sections. To get a nice fit.
A plumber should have the skills to do the job for you...even a joiner wouldn't say no to it.
Although a plumber could deal with any pipework disassembly etc. When negotiating getting the boards to fit tight & neatly.

Good grief, was that a supposed professional? Sorry but that whole install is a bit of a dogs dinner. There was no need for all of that.

Sponsored Links
Good grief, was that a supposed professional? Sorry but that whole install is a bit of a dogs dinner. There was no need for all of that.
I wouldn't go that far. It might not look pretty. But you can see the guy hasn't just been lazy etc.
He's used isolation valves.
He's used correct 15mm x 1/2" male fittings to connect the flexies.
And something I never do, which he has done, is install drain valves to hot & cold.
So as I see it, the guy is maybe more of a diy'r . Who has tried to do things correctly...
The true test is to check if he has fitted 15mm inserts in the pipe. And make sure that correct inserts are fitted to the compression fittings.
Because the superseal inserts with O rings don't want to be used in compression. They don't fit . And could pop off.

I wouldn't go that far. It might not look pretty. But you can see the guy hasn't just been lazy etc.
As the OP has described him as a fitter and has obviously been paid to install that, then he should be a professional and not an enthusiastic DIY'er who has tried to do things correctly IMO.
If he has been employed by the OP as a handyman type person then fair enough and I apologise for being so critical. If he hasn't and was employed as a proper fitter then that's not a very professional job at all and why our trade can get such a bad rep sometimes.

Just because he may have used some correct fittings and installed drain off's, which I'm sorry but just aren't needed in that situation, doesn't make it OK IMO. That pipework should have been much tidier, tight to the wall and clipped, flexi's too long, no need to use push fit, make good the wall if he has created those holes etc.

thanks all. He isn't a full time plumber, he is a handy/maintenance man. Yes he is being paid for this. Really nice guy and hard worker, but I'm disappointed with the pipe work. I have accepted that a perfect end to end job is never done (no matter how much money you pay, people are always lacking here and there. I'm waiting to be proven wrong though). Unfortunately this kind of pipework is all too common in my experience. The last bathroom we had renovated was also left with an abyss around the pipework. We have 2 bathrooms being renovated next month (by a "professional bathroom fitter") and we will not hesitate to bring this issue up from the beginning. I'm tired of being polite and giving people chances to do the right thing, I can't afford to do that anymore.

That being said, I will bring it up with him next week to see if anything can be done, but I'm expecting I'll have to solve this myself. I'd rather avoid expanding foam as there is some already in our en-suite and it doesn't look pretty at all. Will this pollyfilla deep gap do the trick?

No need for drains in that scenario.
No need for pushfit.
He could have used flat ended iso valves instead of additional male irons.
As above, I'd cut a piece of board to cover the holes.

It depends of how much gap there is between the board and the wall behind it. You could cut a couple of pieces of plasterboard roughly the same size and then put a big blob of filler on the back of it and press it in till it's level. then just use filler around the pipes, or as suggested get a piece of conti board to cover the whole section.

Thanks, what kind of exact "board" would be the best thing to cover with? Wood or plastic? if so how thin/thick? Is this definitely the best way to go to "repair" the installation?

Also worth mentioning, there is an unpleasant smell coming from inside the vanity too. I'm hoping that this smell is coming from the cavity because it hasn't been filled...

it's on the ground floor. The hole is around 20cm deep. On the other side is just a wall and the stairs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220512_085202.jpg
    IMG_20220512_085202.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 65
it's on the ground floor. The hole is around 20cm deep. On the other side is just a wall and the stairs.
Ok, so no risk of vermins coming from outside.
In that case, fill the holes with expanding foam (a little tiny touch is already too much!), once cured, trim it flat and put pipe collar.
These ones...
https://www.toolstation.com/talon-pipe-collar/p86783

As it stands, you're not going to be able to hide the pipes, but in reality, who looks at them???

I'm not confident that the smell will go away once the holes have been covered... it seems to be coming from the white plastic pipe going in the ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back