BIG HOLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a wall between 2 rooms. The previous owners of the house cut through the wall so the 2 rooms appear as 1.

I would like to somehow fill this hole in the wall to make the 2 rooms separate again. Please see the image below to see the wall and dimentions.

I thought I could use 47mm stud frame, with 12.5mm plasterboards, but that works out to be 72mm think, but the existing wall is 130mm think.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Use 95mm thick studwork and add an extra layer of 9mm plasterboard to one side.

I cannot seem to find any 95mm studwork timber. I can just find 94mm or 96mm from B&Q.

So I will either end up with 130.5mm thinkness or 128.5mm.

For example

12.5mm x2 plasterboards
9.5mm x1 plasterboard
studwork 96mm or 94mm

Aren't you going to recess the boards and skim them anyway? The sort of tolerances being discussed in this thread are in the league of precision engineering compared to the average building job.
I'd recess them even further and put 2 layers of PB each side for noise insulation. Stuff some rockwool in there as well. It all helps.

Sponsored Links
I was just hoping to fill in the gaps in between the plasterboards and then simply paint over it.

Will stick out like a nudist on a bowling green. Recess and skim the lot.

Agreed. You might even find that you need to cut back the plaster on the existing wall to blend it in with the new work. Best of all re-skim the whole wall when the opening's boarded.

SO far I have understood everything including all the terminoligy except recess. What is that?

Use 100 x 50 sawn softwood timber for studwork, set in your door lining add 12.5mm plasterboard to each side and apply a skim coat of plaster to finish.
Add finishing touches skirting architrave etc and a lick of paint and your all done.

Regards

I don't know if this is something I can do myself. How much should I expect to pay for someone to do this for me?

It reads from your queries that this would be your first effort at plastering. Believe me, it will be a mess! As an enthusiastic DIYer I would not try it myself.
It is an easy job, but requires the skill. Why not do the job upto the point where it can have a full skim? A decent plasterer will get you a good finish for a days agreed "pay" and would tell you what to do in advance.
You can get studwork from a timber merchant finished to any size, if needed, so that the plasterboards are just below the existing surface level.

If you plan to get a Plasterer in then it wouldn't work out a lot more to get someone to do the whole lot.

It's a good days work.

Don't even consider painting the boards, it will look dreadful.

So by how much should the new plaster boards be below the existing surface level?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back