Sound Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm dividing up a large bathroom into two small ones and I'm separating them with a timber stud partition wall.

I'm using 47mm x 75mm sawn timber with 12.5mm plasterboard --- I'm told that 12.5mm is much better than 9.5mm for reducing transmission of sounds.

What should I put in the cavity to also reduce sound? I really don't want to hear someone else doing a poo :oops: ...and I'm sure they don't want to hear me. ;)

Ordinary loft insluation or is there something better?

Many Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
rockwool is denser and may give better sound reducing properties.

it is unlikely you will achieve a 'sound proof' room though.

using glass or mineral fibre type insulation will help reduce sound amplifiers and transmitters such as hollow spots or voids, but adding weight to a structure also helps too. you would be right in thinking thicker plasterboard will be better. two layers would be better still. you would need a broader door casing though.

We recently did a conversion from a study to a music room. We used Isover acoustic grade insulation with 2 x 12.5mm board. This achieved extremely good results, though the problem area was the door opening. Eventually fitted a double entry door, problem solved. I know this isn't practicle for your situation but definetly look at the Isover web site, I'd put a link up but don't know how to :cry:

If you can afford to lose another inch of floorspace then you're laughing. Use your 3x2's on a 4x2 floorplate. Use 2 rows of 3x2, one on each side of the wall, completely fill the void with 4" rockwool, plasterboard and skim each side. Be aware though, any gaps under the door will then be your 'weakest link' for bottom burps and gas.

here is a diagram of wall construction.

288349.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back