new stud wall in kitchen to hold units. what timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm adding a secondary stud wall to the end of a room which is being turned into a kitchen. The wall is thin and backs on to my neighbours bedroom, therefore i am wanting to add this wall in, with sound proofing, to hopefully reduce some of the noise. The new wall will be about 2.5cm away from the existing wall.

The wall will be 4.4m x 2.65m high. I am planning on adding 18mm ply to the front to allow kitchen units to be fitted topped off with 12.5mm plasterboard. Also stud spacing at 600mm to fit in the sound proofing.

The questions i have is what is the correct size timber to use to build the stud work? i have read many different sizes and am confused as to what is best.

Also does everything else i have said make sense?

Sponsored Links
38mm x 63mm studs should be sufficient. Just ask for studding timber.

I covered my (kitchen) stud wall in 18mm ply so that the fitters had the freedom to fix anywhere rather than look for studs or noggs etc.

The uppermost visible part i.e. the bit above the wall units was plastered.
The bit betwixt the the worktop and wall units was tiled.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back