Matching stud wall thickness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im about to re-instate a stud wall to seperate 2 rooms. I dont know what the previous wall was like but the boxed in joist on the ceiling and on one wall is 145mm thick.

As far as matching the thickness of the wall to the boxes(to make plastering easier), I was thinking of 2 x 12.5mm plasterboard, 100mm timber which leaves 10mm on either side left to skim(quite a lot for plastering).

How much do I need to leave, if any, to allow the plaster to be skimmed. I am planning on skimming the whole wall to produce a better finish.
I was thinking of adding a 9mm plasterboard to one side which leaves a total of 11mm left to blend in. 5/6mm either side.

Is it ok to double up on plasterboard?

thanks, Jack

Sponsored Links
As i was reading this post my mind was thinking "double board".

You may be cutting it fine with a 12.5 || 12.5+9.5mm.

It may mean substituting the 12.5+9.5mm layers with a double 9.5 fella.

So, set it up so that you have one side with a 12.5mm layer and t'uther side with a pair of 9.5mm fellas.

2x4 cls [38x 89] problem solved ??
aahh just reread it you need to pad it out not reduce it
5x2planed would come out at about 115mm expensive but not to bad on a small area
also worth asking your wood yard to run some 5x2 through the thicknesser or table saw

Hi,

Im about to re-instate a stud wall to seperate 2 rooms. I dont know what the previous wall was like but the boxed in joist on the ceiling and on one wall is 145mm thick.

As far as matching the thickness of the wall to the boxes(to make plastering easier), I was thinking of 2 x 12.5mm plasterboard, 100mm timber which leaves 10mm on either side left to skim(quite a lot for plastering).

How much do I need to leave, if any, to allow the plaster to be skimmed. I am planning on skimming the whole wall to produce a better finish.
I was thinking of adding a 9mm plasterboard to one side which leaves a total of 11mm left to blend in. 5/6mm either side.

Is it ok to double up on plasterboard?

Its a good idea, it will improve sound insulation :)
Simon.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice,

As far as plastering goes, what sort of finish on the wall would be needed for a plasterer to skim and get a good finish?

Should I just aim to get the plasterboard a couple of mm back from the existing wall? I am planning on re-plastering the whole wall.

Should I just aim to get the plasterboard a couple of mm back from the existing wall? I am planning on re-plastering the whole wall.
If you intend skimming the lot then there is no reason why the new plasterboard can not finish flush with the existing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back